Friday, December 03, 2010

Trip to Disneyland, May 1993, pt. 2



Welcome to Toon Town! These photos shot in May 1993 are just as fresh as Wonder Bread, considering this area opened only 4 months earlier in January. Again, please pardon my mullet.



Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin was the highlight for me.



Although the theming was great in this colorful area, it didn’t take me long to realize that there just wasn’t a whole lot to do here. I’m sure that kids were wowed by the bright colors and things to see, but it just didn’t seem to bear repeat visits like the other lands at Disneyland.





City Hall looks cool...but why can't we go in? Kind of like some of the façades at DCA in the Hollywood section. Nice to look at, but c'mon...put something on the other side!





Mickey’s house was lots of fun; much to see and notice there. A great example of attention to detail with the Disney Imagineers.



A guaranteed meeting with Mickey Mouse himself is definitely a draw.



Lost of photo opps in Toon Town...but then what?



A random trio from Storybook Land:







It may not be as popular as the backside of water, but here’s the backside of the Mark Twain:



A little steel drum action in Adventureland:



And for the closing shot, Kevin does his best Gene Kelly impersonation...without the rain.



Here’s a detail shot from Tuesday's post; anyone that you recognize, Sam?



See more Disneyland photos at my main website.

7 comments:

SKY PRINCESS said...

I love the Go-coaster myself, as it is short and sweet. Could ride it all day and love the fishbowl as I stand in line. I like to confer with Minnie Mouse when she is there. I have never met Micky.

Fun photos!

JG said...

Thanks for the story book land shots. That's Alice's church, isn't it, where her uncle was the rector.

Also notice how the Matterhorn finishes the vista behind Pinocchio's village, like it was done on purpose to be seen that way.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Oh my gosh, is that Amy Winehouse in that last photo?? ;-)

Toontown seems to promise so much more than it delivers. I like the Cartoon Spin, and the architectural details, but it sure seems like there should be more to do. Somebody must have some ideas!

Unknown said...

It is hard to tell. With the brown hair and standard Disney cut, he could be one of a few different people.

Great photos though! I remember working in ToonTown. Back then, sweepers in TT had to wear a mutli-colored checkered hat and vest along with the standard "whites". I still have a hat.

Also, at that time, the Jolly Trolley and Chip & Dales Acorn Pit were probably still working.

I can't believe that I ever thought working at DL was a stressful job.

Was the Cartoon Spin actually opened yet? I know there were delays due to problems with the cars, but I don't remember how long the delays were...

TokyoMagic! said...

I see Skyway cables in that Matterhorn shot! I guess it still had another year and a half before being ripped out.

I really like Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin, but yes...the rest of the "land" leaves a lot to be desired. I wish they would add another dark ride to the area. I vote for a dark ride featuring the fab five (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald, and Goofy...oh yeah, and they could throw in Horace Horsecollar, Clarabelle Cow and Clara Cluck too!)

Unknown said...

Wait... didn't Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin open a year after Toontown?

Daveland said...

I have the date of the photos/trip correct, but maybe I am remembering incorrectly about going on Roger Rabbit's during this trip, as yes...it apparently didn't open until 1994. So...maybe I just enjoyed the signage - ha! I can't get away with anything here, gosh darn it! JG - yes, I also love how the Matterhorn frames the particular tableau of Storybook Land.