Saturday, December 11, 2010

Screen Gem Saturdays: Lana Turner in "Madame X"



Another one of my favorite Ross Hunter glossy weepies is "Madame X," released in 1966. Starring Lana Turner in one of her best roles, she is ably supported by John Forsythe, Constance Bennett, and Ricardo Montalban as the Latin Lover who encourages her to stray from her family.

Once Lana's character, Holly, has an epiphany about her sinful ways, the fling is over. However, Ricardo is not very happy about being dumped. During a struggle for her scarf, a fatal accident occurs. As you can see from this publicity still, Ricardo did not do the actual stunt himself.



For the big death scene though, Ricardo is right there for the performance of a lifetime...pun intended.



Turner’s performance runs the gamut of emotions, from the hysterical phone call after Ricardo's death (note the rock on that finger!)...



to the drink-inspired regretful ramblings of her character many years later in a run-down Mexican motel to Burgess Meredith:



It is admirable that a star like Turner, raised on the MGM myth of glamour 24/7, was willing to "let her hair down" to make this scene believable.



For Chris, here’s a totally different (yet better view) of the Alpine Gardens sign from yesterday’s post. Nice to know I'm not the only signage geek:



See more Lana Turner photos at my main website.

4 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

I need to see this movie! I believe the only Lana Turner films that I've seen are "The Postman Always Rings Twice" and "Imitation of Life", both of which I really do like.

THANK YOU for the close up, Dave!!!!!!! I remember lifting that thing off it's hooks like it was yesterday. :-) We were just surprised that it was removable.

TokyoMagic! said...

Actually, I realize that isn't a "close-up" of yesterday's photo, so thank you for digging up a "totally different, yet better view"...it really is appreciated!

Katella Gate said...

Yes, Disney does signage right!

Chris Merritt said...

I assume you didn't mean me - but that's a great sign! I've been a signage nerd for a long time...