Thursday, December 09, 2010

Traveling Thursdays: Philadelphia Freedom!



Although I was born in San Diego, I was raised in the burbs of Philadelphia. It shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that I was a real history buff as a kid. The heart of our country began to beat in Philly, and so many of the historic buildings are still there to see. A friend of mine from work accompanied me home on my most recent trip there, so I took her on a very quick tour of Independence Hall and the surrounding sites that were part of our nation's heritage.

This present day painting is a semi-accurate depiction of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Can you name everyone in the portrait? Get back to me in a month or so when you do!







When I was a little tyke, this is the room where the Liberty Bell was on display.



This is where it all happened; even if the furniture isn’t original, the brainpower is still tangible.





Across the way in another building is the Liberty Bell; although there's debate as to whether it actually rang on July 4, 1776 (most likely it didn’t), it has still been around long enough to see a helluva lot of history and to earn the respect it has garnered over the years. It took some time, but I photoshopped out all of the obnoxious tourists attempting to pose alongside the bell as if it were George Clooney.





This is just a smattering of what you can see in Philly; more to come. And for the next best thing (but definitely a looooooong ways away in the cool factory department), you can always visit the replica at Knott's:



It’s purty...but just not the same. Still, for those who don't live near Philly, it's the next best thing!

See more Independence Hall photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I lived in Pennsylvania, and somehow my family never made it to Philly, dangit.

Anonymous said...

I remember the Liberty Bell in Independence Hall too. Long time ago.

outsidetheberm said...

The Liberty Bell always seemed more at home inside the hall. The newer pavilion just doesn't have the same awesome immediacy one used to feel with history. Great post.

Daveland said...

Yes...so much for historical context. The goal these days seems to be to get as many people to see it as possible! Hmmmm...sounds like a few other places I know. Maybe they should install an Omnimover system near Independence Hall!

Connie Moreno said...

Love this post! Someday, someday, someday, I WILL go to Philly! I will, I tall ya!