Saturday, December 25, 2010

Screen Gem Saturdays: A Christmas Story



Other than an image from “It's A Wonderful Life,” what other movie could I have possibly placed here for Christmas Day? “A Christmas Story” takes you back to the "amorphously late 30s, early 40s" (as quoted by Director Bob Clark) when life was simple and the protagonist, Ralphie (Peter Billingsley), was motivated by his desire for a Red Ryder Air Rifle. For all of you who celebrate this holiday, Merry Christmas!

To round out the holiday cheer, I’ll include a few of my fave images from the past. If Nickelodeon can do re-runs, why can’t I?

Nothing says Christmas like a man balancing a table on his nose, right?





This one is just ripe for some snappy cartoon bubble comments above each of the Dickens Carolers’ head; readers, this is the time to show your creativity!





I saved the most adorable one for last; this group of seniors poses proudly in front of the Disneyland Christmas Tree, circa Christmas 1967:



Time to get back to the kitchen and finish working on tonight’s meal; anyone want a piece of Fruit Cocktail Eggnog Pie?

So see more Disneyland Christmas photos at my main website.

6 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

I love that last phto. Good luck with that pie, LOL.

Matterhorn1959 said...

Happy Holidays and enjoy the fruit cocktail eggnog pie!

Katella Gate said...

The picture of the singers on the bridge is excellent. Nice raking shot of the castle, with my second favorite star to the right.

Merry Christmas!

TokyoMagic! said...

The guy on the far left is thinking, "I'd rather be riding the Matterhorn", the couple next to him is thinking, "We'd rather be making out on Inner Space", and the couple closest to the tree is thinking, "Gee, why do they have to put these flocked trees into the Castle moat every year...wouldn't it be more cost effective just to scrap that tradition altogether?"

Merry Christmas, Dave!

Chris Jepsen said...

I think everyone loves A Christmas Story, but my mom has a extra connection to it. She spent her early childhood in Cleveland (where the movie is set) in the 1940s (which is WHEN the movie is set). For her, seeing the location shots of Downtown with all the 1940s set dressing is like a perfect time-warp back to her childhood.

On an unrelated note, I got a DL AP for Christmas, so I'll probably see you in the park.

Merry Christmas!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great post, I agree about that last photo - true American at its best.

Did you really make a Fruit Cocktail Egg Nog Pie (link)? How was it???

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas day!