Monday, December 20, 2010

Early Disneyland Transportation Trio



This set of early photos (possibly from opening day) show three of the many forms of transportation that guests could experience Disneyland by. First up is the E.P. Ripley, which is still operating today at the park almost 60 years later.

The Stagecoach was an authentic taste of the Old West in Frontierland. Today, Frontierland has lost its sense of untamed wonder; if Knott’s can keep a Stagecoach going, surely Disneyland could bring theirs back and let guests have a taste of some old fashioned fun.



Last but not least is Casey Junior; the train itself has seen very few changes over the years, but its surroundings underwent some MAJOR alterations in the first year. From mud to miniature wonderland—what a miracle!



See more Disneyland photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Connie Moreno said...

I agree with you about the stagecoach but the E.P Ripley running "nearly 60 years"??? ACK! Don't make me feel so old! I'm the same age as Disneyland and we're still in our 55 year, LOL. (At least for a few more days)

Snow White Archive said...

Where's the kids? This set could be from opening day because the crowds are almost all adults. I can see about 5 or so children in the Casey Junior shot, one in the stagecoach, and maybe one or two on the train platform, but it looks like all the adults came out to play on this day.

Major Pepperidge said...

Love that train photo...

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Ditto on the train photo and sure looks 7/17/55 to me...

Its odd that Knott's still has its stagecoach but not Disneyland.

Cool mud canal next to Casey Jr!.

JG said...

Wow, what a tiny little train. The scale is so perfect, we never realize that it isn't full size.

@Connie, LOL, you're as young as you feel, you tell 'em.

Casey Junior...I love that ride. My last trip, I got to sit alone on the very end and ride through the fireworks display. I highly recommend it. You don't get the set piece forced perspective parts of the fireworks, but nothing beats sitting in the caboose, unless it could be the Monkey Cage.

Thank You Dave, for a dose of my youth. I needed this today.

JG