Saturday, December 18, 2010

Screen Gem Saturdays: I Dream of Jeannie



Sure, Samantha and “Bewitched” may have been slightly more cerebral, but Barbara Eden as Jeannie was no slouch in the entertainment department. Eden created a character that could never be duplicated by any other actress. Try as they might, no actress could steal that part away from her...ever.

The chemistry between Eden and Larry Hagman (as Major Nelson) is one of those things that will live forever in the history books of classic television situation comedy.



This shot of Barbara Eden on the set of “I Dream of Jeannie” is just a little disturbing. She either has a way with animals, the lion is drugged, or she just has no fears. You couldn’t pay me to play with this big kitty! The theme song from this 1960’s classic sitcom is definitely one of my faves!



Here, Barbara & Larry Hagman snuggle up to comedian Groucho Marx, who had a special cameo appearance in a 2nd season episode titled “The Greatest Invention In The World,” original airdate of January 9, 1967:



See more Hollywood Movie and TV photos at my main website.

7 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I'm sure every guy who saw this show wished they had a "Jeannie" that looked like Barbara Eden!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Major is correct - As much as I loved Samantha and obviously she's the logical choice, but you gotta admit, Jeannie was (a) a bit more wild than Samantha (b) funnier than Samantha and (c) Jeannie wore a Jeannie costume - bare mid-drift and all, wooooo hooo!

Where did you get these great press photos?

Connie Moreno said...

And I wanted to BE Jeannie!!

JG said...

My dad loved that show. Now, when I watch reruns, I know why.

Hubba Hubba.

It's cool to know the old man was paying attention.

JG

Unknown said...

I wanted to be Samantha and look like Jeannie.

Starvoyager said...

Met her twice and let me tell u , she is a classic lady very sweet and nice, Oh i wish i had a jeannie like her oooooooooooooooohhhhhh lala

Alan said...

I loved this too, more than bewitched. Years later it was only after watching Dallas for a couple of seasons that I realised who Hagman was. Doh!

As for Eden, her modern counterpart is Jenna Elfman from Dharma and Greg. Same positive life-embracing female, same anal male partner. :)