Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Disneyland October 1965, Pt. 2



Very few batches of vintage Disneyland slides are without views of the Chicken of the Sea Pirates Ship Restaurant. I get especially excited when they include views of Skull Rock Cover. I truly believe that this area was a masterpiece of artistic rock work and set design.



A view of the Matterhorn taken from below the Monorail track:



Alice doesn't seem too popular on this day.



The October 1965 photographer took a journey on a Skyway bucket towards Tomorrowland and captured Storybook Land on the left...



The Castle & the top of the Carrousel on the right...



back to the left for Monstro and more Storybook Land:



The top of Alice:



And the Monsanto House of the Future:



I had to zoom in to see what the tent on the left-side of the photo was; any ideas?



Back on terra firma, here's a shot of the buckets themselves:



As well as the House of the Future:



closer...



closest...



One more installment to go!

See more vintage and current Disneyland photos on my Disneyland photo web pages.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I learned from a smart commenter that the yellow tent was the Monsanto Home of the Future Gazebo... "which was a kind of garden tent with metal lawn furniture inside and some Star Treky planters around it." (thanks to D ticket).

Anonymous said...

Ditto @Major. After the HOF, the tent location became a souvenir stand for a number of years before disappearing.

Dave, this is a splendid series. Thanks.

JG

K. Martinez said...

Great set today. I agree! The Skull Rock Cove and dining area was a masterpiece in all aspects. For me it's the one sore spot of the Fantasyland re-do.

As much as I enjoyed House of the Future back in the day, I think my favorite version of this area was Alpine Gardens. A garden setting designed simply for relaxing and stepping off the main drag. It doesn't seem like there's many of those areas at the Park anymore.

Daveland said...

Thanks Major & JG!

K. - There are still a few relaxing areas left, but if I told you where they were...

Connie Moreno said...

Groovy, baby! I was wondering...WHEN did they switch to the squarish Skeyway buckets?

Daveland said...

Connie - It was in 1965 that they did the switch.