Friday, October 25, 2013

Where To Find The Bacon at Disneyland



I was very excited to acquire a batch of February 1960 slides, as it now gives me two out of three vintage shots of the Storybook Three Little Pig homes.

The first shot taken was of the Practical Pig home, thus named because he built his home of brick. Here's a contemporary comparison shot. If you watch the original Silly Symphony Short, you'll see that the design of the home in the cartoon closely matches what was built.



Here is the vintage shot of Fiddler Pig's house; he wasn't so smart, as he built his home out of sticks and twigs. I guess all of his brains must have gone into his violin playing.



The original structure appeared to have been built out of actual sticks/twigs, whereas the contemporary version looks more like a molded material.



Unfortunately, I have yet to acquire a vintage shot of poor ol' Fifer's house; til then, my contemporary images will have to suffice.



I do have comparison shots for the Big Bad Wolf's abode, this one from June 1969:



I really love the little details like the mailboxes:



The Three Little Pigs had a much bigger presence in the park during the early years:









Today, they are at least honored by having a restaurant named after them on Buena Vista Street at DCA, The Fiddler, Fifer and Practical Cafe:



From what I can remember, I do not believe there is a single picture of the Pigs inside the restaurant. I wonder if bacon is on the menu there?

See more vintage & current Disneyland Three Little Pig Storybook photos on my Storybook web page.

3 comments:

K. Martinez said...

At first I thought the article was going to be about having breakfast in the park.

Photo 9 of the Big Bad Wolf is one of my favorite images from your Daveland photo archive. So much to look at. It's got the base of Matterhorn, monorail track overhead, hidden bacon in the backdrop, a cool ticket both and ice cream cart plus cool fashion on top of all that.

I look forward to your future vintage pic of Fifer's straw house. Thanks.

Irene said...

Referring to the pig holding the child - I don't believe a costumed character would dare to pick up a child now days! I missed seeing the three pigs during Limited Time Lost Characters week, much to my dismay. From the pictures I saw and comments from friends, those pigs had a blast that week.

JG said...

That pig is such a ham...

JG