Monday, October 28, 2013

Pack Mules at Disneyland



Although I'm not sure I'd get on one if I could, there's something about the Pack Mule attraction at Disneyland that makes me wish it was still there. Whenever I see vintage images become available of it, I am typically a sucker to buy them.



Maybe it's the unpredictability of having your fun rely on an animal; the fact that the experience isn't quite perfect and might actually go a little awry at any minute.



Because of the amount of visitors, liability, and a general expectation of perfection, the Pack Mules would be a hard sell for today's Disneyland.

See more vintage Disneyland Pack Mule photos on my Pack Mule web page.

4 comments:

K. Martinez said...

It's hard to believe the Pack Mules have now been gone for 40 years. I remember riding the Pack Mules, but those memories seem to fade more and more.

MRaymonx said...

My dad says I rode the mules but I don't remember it. But I remember riding the mine train. The brain is strange. Great memories as always.

JG said...

Riders would now have to wear helmets, as I have seen at several "dude ranches" recently.

Ruins the atmosphere. I don't mind a helmet on a bike, but in my experience, you really have to try to fall or be thrown from a well-trained horse.

JG

beachgal said...

I thought the packmules were lame in the 1950's and only went on them once or twice. They were slow and did not 'do' anything was my impression. But then I had a horse stabled up in Rolling Hills as well (we lived in the So. Bay area). As I recall the mules would go around a couple of the ride areas and seem to recall.