Sunday, October 13, 2013

Horseshoes and Guns



27 years ago, The Golden Horseshoe Revue closed. Not the building, but the beloved show, which had been entertaining guests since Disneyland opened in July 1955. Wally Boag and Donald Novis' show holds the Guinness world record for "greatest number of performances of any theatrical production." That's nothing to sneeze at!

This November 1958 image shows the Saloon with the Slue Foot Sue sign. Betty Taylor played Sue for 30 years, qualifying her as the longest-running cast member of the show. You can also see Casa de Fritos Restaurant (now Rancho del Zocalo) in the background of this closeup:



For a much better view of the Slue Foot Sue sign here's a glorious color shot from March 1956:



The main reason I acquired the first image in today's post is because it also shows the rarely seen Frontier Gun Shop. This is the closest I've gotten to seeing what was sold inside. Today, the idea of guns being sold at Disneyland seems somewhat jarring.



Another previously posted view from February 1959 that also shows the front of the Gun Shop:



Although the show has changed, the Saloon is still in business today, putting smiles on the faces of guests every day. In a move for a gentler world, the folks at Disney now sell Chicken Strips instead of guns next door.



Works for me.

See more vintage & current Golden Horseshoe Saloon at Disneyland photos on my Golden Horseshoe web pages.

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I wonder how long the Frontierland Gun SHop was there? It must have been a very short time.

K. Martinez said...

I love the Slue-Foot Sue Golden Horseshoe sign.

So interesting how the culture changes slowly through the years. Not only does Disneyland not have the Frontier Gun Shop anymore, but the Main Street Tobacco Shop is gone as well.

I remember as a teenager in the 1970s spending several summers at my cousins home in Culver City. My uncle would take me to the indoor gun range and teach me how to use and care for a gun as well as go over the responsibility of gun ownership. I never did own a handgun after that, but always appreciated that my uncle took the time to educate me on the subject.

K. Martinez said...

Dave - How's your data recovery coming along?

Daveland said...

Ken - I am glad to say that everything has been copied/backed up. As far as I know, there were no files lost. Thanks for asking!

Janey said...

Wow! I never knew a gun shop existed!

While I never saw the original Slue Foot Sue sign, I miss it and really wish it was still there. She's one of my favorite characters. In fact, I don't think it's even called Slue Foot Sue's Golden Horseshoe anymore...just The Golden Horseshoe? Even though images of her and Pecos Bill are still inside, thankfully!