Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Country Bear Jamboree Blowout!



Today in the digital age, Disneyland guests will take hundreds of photos in a single day, documenting every minute detail of the park without even thinking about it. Back in the day when film ruled, it was a different story. Each picture was carefully planned, as film and processing were expensive, and it took at least a week to see what had been shot in the first place. This is why this set of September 1974 photos is so cool; the photographer did a great job of documenting the Country Bear Jamboree. Here are all the characters, presented to you in the order they were shot. The first photo shows Buff, an American bison and leader of the animal heads (voiced by Thurl Ravenscroft).

Melvin, the moose, must have been speaking when this shot was taken as the spotlight is on him. Interesting side note: he is voiced by Bill Lee, who also dubbed Christopher Plummer's voice in "The Sound of Music."



Gomer at the piano:



Wendell (voiced by Bill Cole):



The Sun Bonnet Trio (Bunny, Bubbles, and Beulah):



The Five Bear Rugs (Zeke, Zeb, Ted, Fred, Tennessee, and Baby Oscar):



Ernest (voiced by both Van Stoneman-October 1971 until July 1975 and then Randy Sparks):



Teddi Barra (voiced by Roni Stoneman):



Big Al (voiced by Tex Ritter):



Teddi Barra, once again:



Liver Lips McGrowl (voiced by Jimmy Stoneman):



Hope you enjoyed this vintage recap of the CBJ! See more vintage Country Bear Jamboree photos at my main website.

8 comments:

Thufer said...

Big Al was always a hit. I remember the vibrating chair in the Que always providing lots of snickers as well. Another one of those park treasures which allowed for sit down air conditioned comfort for a few minutes.

Also, this attraction was located in one of the more 'pretty' locations in the park. In the heat of a summer noon it was always the location of choice and; be honest, how many times have we hung out in this area around closing time in hopes that the staff would just forget its final sweep through this area? I confess.

JG said...

What Thufer Said.

Ok Ok, I enjoyed CBJ and miss it a little bit, in spite of what I may have posted in the past.

Thank you Dave.

JG

Connie Moreno said...

(Imagine I am using red, bold,font)

I LOVE THIS!!!!

Oh ya, and what Thufer said, LOL.

Major Pepperidge said...

I have to admit that these are pretty amazing photos considering how dark it was, and how slow most film was.

Do we know if the animatronics from the CBJ have be "repurposed" anywhere?

Daveland said...

Major - The three trophy heads can be found "hidden" on the Winnie the Pooh ride. The only other animatronic I know of is Big Al's; I had read that he was repurposed as Oogie Boogie when the Haunted Mansion did their first Nightmare Before Christmas overlay.

TokyoMagic! said...

WOW, WOW, WOW! These pics make me miss CBJ even more.

Thufer, I remember the arcade and the Mile Long Bar across the way, but I had forgotten all about the vibrating chairs in the waiting area! There was a second one, right? Or was the second one located in the arcade? Thanks for refreshing my memory on that little detail.

Even if some of the figures have been repurposed...again, there were two theaters and two sets of everything....they need to bring this back even if it's just a single theater this time like Orlando's CBJ.

J. Jeff Kober said...

It seemed I always saved an "E Ticket" for the Country Bear Jamboree. And I agree, that it was the most beautiful corner of the park. Often I found myself next door at the Hungry Bear Restaurant, with hamburgers including Canadian Bacon, something I found very novel. The Mile Long Bar and Teddi Berra's Swinging Arcade also held my attention.

outsidetheberm said...

The Christmas Country Bears show was a family tradition. Greatly missed, now. My wife will still give anyone an earful if the topic comes up.

Great shots, Dave.