Sunday, April 29, 2012

TPE: Fantasyland Skyway Station



Seeing Walt's Apartment in Town Square is the ultimate Holy Grail at Disneyland for me. Trailing a bit down on the list is the Fantasyland Skyway Station. It's not because of its design or because of any connection to Walt. It's mainly because it sits on a hill, hidden behind trees, virtually abandoned for almost 20 years. I would love to go back in time and explore this structure.

In this 1956 color view, you can see a gigantic faux book.



This image shows you that the faux book is a promotional piece advertising the Skyway and its journey across the park to Tomorrowland.



The original round Skyway buckets sailed from the Alpine themed Fantasyland station towards the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant, over Snow Hill (eventually the site of the Matterhorn), and onto its final destination of the Tomorrowland Skyway Station.



This shot was taken from the pathway up to the Skyway Station:





Note the signage on the left of this vintage shot:



Amazingly enough, the same sign is still there today, sans the Skyway designation:



Behind the snack/souvenir carts, you can see the steps that lead up to the station:





This is what the interior looked like about 4 years ago:







Before:



After (I wonder where the flower pots are now?):



Many (including myself) have suggested that this would be a great place for a Princess Meet-And-Great; it's got the history of the park behind it and it's already appropriately themed. However, there would be accessibility issues and those could keep this building from being used for anything other than the occasional company function.

See more vintage & current Disneyland Skyway photos on my Skyway web page.

4 comments:

Thufer said...

I may have a little different take on the Fantasyland Terminus. I like the fact that it sets there, hidden in the woods. I understand real estate inside the berm is 'always' a concern to the suits, but it does rest well in my heart and mind that there is one special monument which does and hopefully will stand forward; unchanged. I personally, would like nothing being done to it other than maintenance. Yes, there is a cost incurred and 0 return on investment on that magical plot of dirt, trees, lumber and paint. However, in say another 50 years, what a gift to give to the children of that era. Just one of those magical and mysterious thing associated with Walt and his ability to make the world a happier place for all.

Janey said...

I don't know why it is blowing my mind so much that this structure just sits abandoned. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of abandoned amusement parks but anything that is Disney and abandoned just makes me sad...

I hope that if they do end up doing something in the area, that they at least keep the structure. It is such an amazing example of Disney's commitment to stellar architecture and detail. Although with that has been happening with the Carnation Plaza Gardens area, who knows if anyone cares about originality anymore... :(

Major Pepperidge said...

Bring back the Skyway!

K. Martinez said...

If it's abandoned then does that mean it's not maintained? I'd assume then it would deteriorate and become unstable. I was really bummed the day they removed the Skyway. Disneyland never felt the same to me after that.