Wednesday, April 11, 2012

TPE: The Columbia



The other mighty vessel on the Rivers of America is The Columbia. I would definitely want to go back in time to watch the ship's construction, as it was done in full view of guests at Disneyland, as can be seen in this 1958 photo:



Taken from the other angle, this photo gives a nice view of the Chicken Plantation, too:



Zooming in, you can see the crew working on The Columbia:



Another construction shot, with the Twain riding past its future sister:





Almost done!



I love the early signage, which is obviously handcrafted:



Zooming in, you can read about the details of its construction and christening:



It appears that at one time, guests could board The Columbia from the Fowler's Harbor location:



More wonderful signage:



A nice view of the deck of the Columbia, circa September 1964:



And two of its crew members, from June 1964:



See more vintage & current Disneyland Columbia photos on my Columbia web page.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Love those great construction pics!

olddisneylandfan said...

This encouraged me to do something I always wanted to do: Look up the history of the original Columbia, aka "Columbia Rediviva." Good info here: http://bit.ly/ImAe1I

Daveland said...

...and that encouraged me to read more. I guess the original was used for salvage after it was decommissioned in 1806.

Anonymous said...

Up until the mid-'70s, the Columbia was open to the public in "museum" (stationary) mode during the winter season -- although she sometimes sailed weekends or whenever the Mark Twain was down for rehab. That was when visitors could board the ship near Fowler's.

As I recall, it took a "B" coupon to do so -- but the gangway was often simply left open with no turnstile or ride operator present to take tickets. Great post, Dave. Thanks!

Connie Moreno said...

That was great! I had never seen those photos before and it really gave me a feeling of excitement and anticipation as if I was waiting for the ship to be completed!

Anonymous said...

I have a 60’s family photo that shows 25 cents or “B” Coupon on that little white sign hanging below the Columbia arch