Thursday, December 10, 2009

Tell-No-Tales Thursdays: The Blue Bayou Restaurant



This vintage shot of the famous restaurant that overlooks the POTC Bayou is obviously retro, as most of the patrons have ties. Today, most of the customers look like they walked out of a Snoop Dog video. A trip to DLand is not complete without a Monte Cristo at the Blue Bayou. Hands down, this is the best MC you can get anywhere.



The Chinese Lanterns that hang overhead are another fave for me:



Desserts have always had a special place at the Bayou; over the years, they’ve had a number of creative concoctions. I regret that I do not have a photo of the Fried Cheesecake. It was a slice of heaven!









See more Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean photos at my website.

11 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I've never had a Monte Cristo... all that fried stuff scares me! My stomach is not quite as cast iron as it used to be.

William Bezek said...

Curse you Dave for mentioning my most favorite sandwich ever! Now I am really hungry. I wonder why Disney has never put a restaurant somwhere in the Haunted Mansion? How cool would it be to dine in a graveyard!

Katella Gate said...

Oh my God! William! What a great idea!

As for the Monte Cristo... my arteries are creaking with joy!

Matt said...

The Monte Cristo is a classic! Major, I can't believe you've never had one, get your butt over to the BB this second and strap on the feedbag!

Bob Weaver said...

What are they eating in that first photo?

Daveland said...

Matt - Don't even ask The Major when the last time he was at the park...that will send you into even further disbelief. Bob - looks like it could be the Salade Mignon.

Unknown said...

Man do I dig the edible pirate ship!!

Anonymous said...

That first pic is a staged PR pic from the 1980's. All of the people are cast members. The girl in the center is wearing a Cast Cafeteria cashier costume.

G.

Daveland said...

G: Staged PR pic yes...1980’s no; I've had the viewmaster slide with that image since the 1970’s.

Anonymous said...

Dave, yeah, could be late 70's

G.

Chiana_Chat said...

How I love the Bayou! Bless you Dave (as a counter to the above curse ;) ) for spotlighting it. My gosh that comment about people stepping out of the Snoop Dog video is so true - and by now it is actually a very old "style" for people to be sticking to. Technical change has put a lot of other cultural change on ice, but why did it have to stop in the '80s.

I have the same top pic too, Dave is right it is certainly 1970s.