Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Disneyland in Glorious B&W, 1955, Pt. 4



For followers of my Jungle Cruise blog, these first three images will be old hat by now! Still, they are the next ones up in this beautiful batch of crisp and clear (most at least!) images from 1955. The Ancient Shrine looks extra creepy in this shot; you'd hardly guessed that the landscaping had only been growing for a few months at this point. Even in 1955, as this second image will attest, photographers were lured by the siren song of the hippo.



The backside of water was a crowd pleaser in the early days, too.



The rough-hewn timbers of the Frontierland fence sure add some atmosphere in this somewhat barren shot of the Mark Twain.



A nice closeup of the Twain:



A little further down the way, we find ourselves at the Frontierland Depot, with what I believe is the backside of the Chicken Plantation Restaurant...or possibly Aunt Jemima's. However, I am sticking to the Chicken Plantation unless proven otherwise!



Taking a little rest on the C.K. Holliday:



See more vintage & current Frontierland photos at my regular website.

8 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Nice B&W pics Dave. Definitely the back of the Plantation House.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I agree, gotta be the back of the Plantation House. These are all stunning, the train ones are especially vivid, thanks Dave!

Major Pepperidge said...

Those last two are really fantastic, love the trains and Frontierland Station!

Anonymous said...

I've been hoping for a photo showing the proximity of the Plantation House to the old depot for ages! You've made my day, Dave – Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Man, I love these pictures but I just can't get this image of Aunt Jemima's backside out of my head!

DZ

Katella Gate said...

It's hard to believe that back in the day, the south bend of the river was all rural hinterland.

Daveland said...

DZ - Maybe a heaping helping of her pancakes would help!

Mr. Mouse Monthly said...

Is it just me, or does the boat pictured in the 'backside of water' pic going the wrong way? Did they reverse the direction of the ride at some point or am I just seeing things?