Thursday, August 08, 2013

1960's Tomorrowland: A Place On The Move

Anyone who has seen my photos knows that "The Wizard of Oz" played a major part in how I process my photos. The rich over-saturated palette of the 1939 Technicolor masterpiece often causes me to go a bit overboard when I work on my images in Lightroom and Photoshop. Despite that, I also have a passion for monochromatic photography, which can create just as many moods with the wide range of shadows that exist between the black and white. This group of post-1965 black and white images begins with the Astro-Jet attraction, which was located between the Submarine Voyage and the Moonliner.

Zooming in to shot #2, you can see The Space Bar, as well as a poster advertising The Sounds of Soul in the background.

In a "You Are There" moment, this young lass slowly travels towards The Matterhorn in a Skyway Bucket.

Looking the opposite way, she got a photo of the Tomorrowland Skyway Station.

I had to zoom in for a closeup of the Autopia Eagle. Because of the square shape of the Skyway Buckets, I knew that these photos were at least 1965; because the Astro Jets were still on the ground, I knew that the "New" Tomorrowland had not occurred yet, placing these photos in the 1965-66 range.

The bucket continues to propel forward, bringing it closer to the Matterhorn:

Last shot for today shows a stylish gal, posing in front of the Fantasyland Skyway Station:

After surviving a journey on the Skway, she looks like she could conquer the world.

Follow my Daveland updates on Twitter and view my most recent photos on Flickr. See more Astro Jet photos on my Astro Jet web page.


K. Martinez said...

More from your B&W collection. I love it! The Astro-jet and Skyway/Space Bar photos are great. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

She looks like a Bond Girl in that last shot.

These are beautiful.


Mark Taft said...

I always thought the Richfield eagle was cool! Love these old shots. Thanks, Dave!