Thursday, April 19, 2012

Traveling Thursdays: Riverside & Mt. Rubidoux



Welcome to Riverside, California! Previous to my most recent visit, my opinion of Riverside (other than The Mission Inn) wasn't too swift. However, that quickly changed with a few excursions that yielded a number of surprises.



I had seen this cool clock before, but hadn't shot it at night:



I am guessing that this building was once a theater:



Interesting statuary:





The Courthouse is a beautiful piece of classical architecture:



Looks like the wheels of justice are spinning in Riverside:



This quaint little park blew me away; don't know how I missed it on my previous visits:









The Fox Theater in Riverside is still vibrant:







The hiking trails of Mt. Rubidoux were the most pleasant surprise of all.









Not only was the hike fun, but the views were sensational:



















I won't wait another 5 years to return to Riverside, that's for sure!

See more vintage & current Riverside, CA photos on my Riverside web page.

6 comments:

funmamas said...

What memories you brought back for me! We lived in Riverside for a few years when I was a child. I have fond memories of Disneyland, 6 Flag Magic Mountain and Knotts Berry Farm.
I also remember Mt. Rubidoux. My dad used to take my sister and I there hiking all the time.
I remember the building on top, and the cross. Bits and pieces. I loved to hike there.
Thank you for the pictures, and the flashback!

Chiana_Chat said...

Sensational post, Dave!

I'm surprised to be interested in going to Riverside now. =)

Ole said...

It is nice to see pictures of familiar places from someone who actually knows how to take good pictures (unlike me).

Daveland said...

Thanks for the comments all - I almost feel guilty for negative comments I'd made about Riverside before. It definitely has some hidden gems to explore!

Anonymous said...

Looks like some parts of Riverside are an attractive city.

Your posts make me want to visit it now.

Don't feel too bad about previous comments, SOmetimes you have go back more than once to a place to appreciate the finer points, many of which are often hard to find in these latter days of strip malls and fast food.

Almost all the little California cities have neat hidden bits that have survived the 60's 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's onslaught of crass and insensitive non-architecture.

Even much-maligned Fresno has neat little neighborhoods and architectural gems, if you know where to look.

Thank you for making these aspects of Riverside better known. My opinion is much improved by your efforts, so that should be some positive karma right there.

JG

Chiana_Chat said...

Dave, had to take another look at that pic over the valley, it's wallpaper worthy - Buena Vista is the right term!

Did you go into the Fox Riverside? And what happened to De Anza? It's ok if you don't have de anza, I'm just curious!