Thursday, April 05, 2012

Traveling Thursdays: Riverside & The Mission Inn, Pt.1



After a five year absence, I found myself back at the Mission Inn in Riverside. This time, it was the UCDA Design Summit that was the reason for my visit. I am so glad that I went! Not only was the conference inspiring, but being back at the hotel was like visiting an old friend. I love the eclectic design that makes this historical building so fascinating.

Some 600+ photos garnered a few of the images I am sharing today. My first category is statues. This gal made me think of Marie Antoinette, perhaps before she headed for the gallows.









Just like Disneyland, there are plenty of cool weather vanes:





An abundance of richly colored stained glass:








Inside one of the smaller chapels, there is an actual Tiffany stained glass window:



Signed by the master himself:



Inside of the same little chapel you'll find this painting:



Every corner you turn, there is something cool to admire:



This little birdy joined me for lunch on the Spanish Patio:



If you have a sweet tooth, Casey's Cupcakes will take care of that for you. Their flavor of the month, mint cookies and cream, was out of this world...and I devoured it quickly, along with a Luscious Lemon.



I hope it's not another five years before I come to this hotel again. More photos next week. See more vintage & current Mission Inn in Riverside, CA photos on my Mission Inn web page.

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I'm hoping to be going there myself in the next month or two...

outsidetheberm said...

The Spanish Patio is one of our favorite lunch spots.

Major (and Dave!) let's meet up!

Connie Moreno said...

Ever since you told me you were going to the Mission Inn, I've been waiting for your posts! I just knew you would capture it in all of its glory! Love these photos and some of those items, I've not noticed in my past visits. I want to take the tour - it's $12 that will be well spent.

I love eating there, too. If you guys come out, I wanna crash your party!

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

I ADORE the Mission Inn. Can't wait to stay there again. I do think their Sunday Brunch way overrated, on the advice of a valet we found a neat little old restaurant a few blocks away where we had the best breakfast of our lives. Just wish I could remember the name of the place!

Anonymous said...

I love it! A riot of kitsch!