Tuesday, February 14, 2012

2000th Post Extravaganza: Town Square & Main Street



I think that before I continue on my ideal visit of Disneyland (courtesy The Time Tunnel), I would need to buy a genuine pair of Mouse Ears. What better place than the Mad Hatter in Town Square?

Let's follow the festive marching band around the corner to International Street.



What? International Street? That's right...if you had visited at the right time, you'd have seen this marquee hailing the debut of International Street in 1957.



And then it became 1958.



There were even "peepholes" that allowed guests to see what was going to be appearing behind the walls.



Behind this quaint older couple...



You can see that the same wall had been painted, and the date was changed to 1959.



Since we're barely out of Town Square, it is fairly easy to tell that this is going to be a long day. Maybe we should join this young couple for a cup of java at the Hills Brothers Coffee House.





The Coffee Garden looks very inviting, and is a great place to people watch. With a Time Tunnel at my disposal, there is no rush to hit the attractions.





Goofy & Pluto! Could the day get any better?





Before wrapping up today's post, I think I'll take a moment to enjoy a musical interlude at the Wurlitzer Shop on Main Street.



Lasting until September 1968, The Wurlitzer Shop was the place to go to hear demonstrations of pianos (player and standard) and organs. You could buy one, too (I wonder if it would fit in a locker?), but chances are you stopped in to be entertained.



Guests would leave their contact information if interested in learning more about what they saw and heard here (which would be helpful if your locker wasn't big enough).





Turning the corner to Main Street, you'll find the Wonderland Music Shop. Lasting barely a year, this store became the Magic Shop and was owned by Merv Taylor until 1965.



So much to see ahead!



Please come back for the rest of my Time Tunnel Tour.

See more vintage & current Town Square photos on my Disneyland Town Square web page.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I haven't said my congrats yet!

*bounds up so ecstatic and exhuberant Tigger seems mild

Congratulations Dave!

*spins Dave like a top and basically badgers until Dave resembles The Happiest Blogger On Earth

As Dinah Shore might say, MWAH! Thank you for sharing your infectous enthusiasm and awesome collection of Disneyland AND quite a few more subjects of interest.

That glow on the Wurlitzer bldg. is somethin'. I'd go just for the ambiance. Or a Wurl.

...yeah and no Hills Bros. for me, I know...

Thufer said...

IMHO, the coffee gardens in any incarnation; is perhaps the best 'people watching' real estate in the park. I have often wished that I lived close to the park, was an annual pass-holder and could simply meander up, take a seat and partake in a never ending cup of coffee right there. Watching children of all ages entering the park is just a joy to watch.
The interior of the Wurlitzer location was a nice bonus.

Connie Moreno said...

These were great and I really enjoyed looking at the backgrounds!

Oh my gawd, you are NOT going to believe my security word for today!!!!
SPERM!!

Major Pepperidge said...

I sure wish I knew what people would have seen when they looked through the "peep holes" in that fence for International Street!

stu29573 said...

I know they didn't do this, but wouldn't it be cool to be able to buy a piano or organ with the Disneyland logo on it...a metal plate...in gold...? Wow, I should have done their marketing!