Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Welcome to Disneyland, October 1972



Today we’ll take a visit to the early 1970’s, a place I rarely visit here on this blog. This is a small but fun batch of images from the polyester era; although in 1972, the full synthetic nature of this decade was still a few years away.

Nothing says “welcome” like this retro sign! I have also included a closeup view of the diverse signage from other restaurants and hotels along the way. The view today sure is different...and even more crowded than it was some 30 years ago. There have been some visual improvements along Harbor and Katella—thanks to the Gardenwalk project—but quite a few eyesores still remain. This became very apparent to me on one trip as I actually walked to Disneyland from the Anaheim train station. Not quite the happiest journey!



Over in Tomorrowland, the Disneyland Marching band is rousing the guests with a spirited tune. Just check out some of the outfits modeled by the guests on the right side of the photo. I can almost hear the pulsing of the Disco era getting ready to explode!



Here’s a closeup of the band; anyone know who the bandleader was at this time?



Over in New Orleans Square, the Pirates of the Caribbean exterior has yet to be excavated for the addition of the overpass.



You’ll note that The Haunted Mansion (although open for biz since 1969) has not made it to the signage of attractions listed for New Orleans Square...even though Bear Country has (which opened in 1972).



Last shot shows a few Tour Guides yucking it up in front of the Mile Long Bar in Bear Country. Just look at that one girl’s Disneyland Tour Guide “D” Pin sparkle!



This photo from 2008 shows a more current view of the same building as it now appears in the renamed Critter Country:



View more Disneyland photos at my main website.

12 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Nice bunch... it is odd that the sign for New Orleans Square doesn't mention the Mansion OR Pirates. On some of those old Dial Guides from about the same time, the Mansion is listed as being in Frontierland. They needed Jason to straighten them out!

Heidi Ann said...

I always love the old pictures.
But especially the fabulous Disneyland "marquee".
Ah, it surely makes me wish I were there right now.

Thufer said...

What a happy sight.... the marquee! I really miss its calling out to all.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Excellent post Dave. Tomorrowland is looking good. Always like the pics of the tour guides. Much appreciated.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I've made that walk outside the park, "Magic" its not....

Nice set from 1972 - jogs all kinds of good memories. I miss the Slurry of Tomorrowland.

Skinny Arbuckle said...

the 1970s is the decade that i first came to disneyland. i have so many fond memories and old photos from back then. i love those times. thanks for these amazing pictures!

G said...

My favorite part of country bear jamboree is the "Sun Bonnet Trio" singing, "why do the boys that turn me on turn me down". Boy, do I hum the tune alot.

Anonymous said...

The director of the Disneyland Band looks like Jim Christensen.

G.

Chiana_Chat said...

Mile Long Pin Glint!

Great seeing the building still there and it looks real cute but... very cutesy and phony, like one of the relatively inexpensive Xmas resin model buildings one might find at a hardware store dese daze, a default sign for "Critter Country" (what is "Critter Country," the building or the area?), some simplified looking fake "stuff" crowded around and on it and a city park bench parked right across the double doorway. In Mile Long Bar days it looks just like what it's aimin' for.

Maybe they didn't feel The Haunted Mansion needed the sign - or they wanted it to feel like a forgotten mansion, which you wouldn't go pointing out on signs all over the place.

Connie Moreno said...

Where do I begin??? That marquee! Just the other day I was visualizing it in my head - what a mistake to take it down. Big mistake. Another place I fondly remember is the Mile Long Bar. It was a ritual for us to go straight to the bar upon exiting the Country Bear Jamboree to get either an iced tea or a Coke. In the evenings, it was a quiet place to relax, too. Before Splash Mountain, hardly anybody would go back there in the evenings so on a hot summer night it was a great place to enjoy a nice cold Coke!

Anonymous said...

Note that in the slow season, the Park would be closed on Monday and Tuesday. Yes, there were slow seasons and the crowds were few. I may have worked on Pirates that day. At least I can picture myself there. Thanks!

Atomicmickey said...

We stayed in the MECCA Motel--as seen in the one pic--in 1973. That was my first Disney trip, these pics sure bring back memories, thanks!