Monday, September 06, 2010

Polyester Magic: February 1971 at Disneyland, Pt. 3



The Jungle Cruise attraction has consistently remained a Disneyland fave since its inception in 1955. As you can see here, the entrance area has changed somewhat over the years. Originally, guests saw a more primitive and rugged exterior.



Today, the theming has been modified to coordinate with the 1930’s look of The Indiana Jones attraction located next door:



Here are two shots towards the end of the attraction, featuring the now extinct gorilla and the still present (yet often changing) Trader Sam:





Anybody need to pick up a souvenir from the Guatamalan Weavers? Guests today would be somewhat challenged if they wanted to pick up some authentic international goods in Adventureland.



View more Disneyland Adventureland photos at my main website.

10 comments:

Thufer said...

I remember as a kid, the best shopping destination in the park was Adventureland. There was some really cool stuff over there to buy.

William Bezek said...

I had one of those plastic shrunken heads.

Katella Gate said...

Nothing said "Disneyland" like the smell of a rubber snake. My Mom was Snake-o-phobic, so that was one souvenir I NEVER got from the park... but skulls and shrunken heads were A-OK!

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, neat picture of the Jungle Cruise entrance. And the last photo with the shops is super nice too.

TokyoMagic! said...

I like the design on the trash can in that last pic (next to the "Sunkist, I Presume" juice bar.) And if we could pan just a little to the right, we'd be able to see the Big Game Shooting Gallery!

Chiana_Chat said...

One has to compliment them, they put a lot more into the more recent entrance. Even the roof is well done. This one has to say, alas: actually I kinda like the older entrance. There are no overtly cartoony elements. Feels you're even further from "civilization" and deeper into the imagined jungle, plus it fits more with the simplicity of the attraction itself.

Why should the 100% Disney classic be modified to gel with partner-produced Indiana Jones? tbh, fwiw, imho, ymmv, lol.

Ah even as men are sprouting pork chops, the ladies are still doing Disneyland in heels.

I'd so take one of those chairs for my place (outside "Guatamalan Weavers" for "Sunkist, I Presume" I presume).

Chiana_Chat said...

btw fwiw for a moment I thought that bottom pic was one you'd recently taken but then I realized it couldn't be... main tip-off actually being the chicken wire around the flower bed! hehe maybe they bought so much chicken wire in the 50s they were still going through it in 1971.

Chiana_Chat said...

ps... didja remember ya posted the 71 JC pics before? Back in July iirc. I remembered the girl in the serape. No worries, I like the pics. :)

Daveland said...

Chiana - Since it took you 3 comments to remember, I don't feel so bad about a repeat or 2. With almost 5000 posts, sometimes that happens.

Chiana_Chat said...

well no but I figured letting the post fall back a day or two before mentioning it was only polite. Cause I appreciate those almost 5000 posts...