Monday, December 14, 2009

48 Years Ago: December 1961, Pt. 5



Yes, it would appear that our photographer was fascinated with the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant, and I’m betting that he stopped for a Tuna Boat.

A shot of the famous mermaid with a closeup included, with what appears to be a maintenance man also in the photo (or maybe just a man who didn't get the memo about not wearing white after Labor Day):





And Skull Rock; I think this is probably what I miss most about this area. The sculpting of the skull is just perfection; the one at the Disneyland Hotel now just looks too fake.



A good shot of Merlin’s Magic Shop; wonder if Steve Martin is inside?



A closeup of the window display:



Next to the Skyway, it would appear that our photographer loved Storybook Land just as much. Here is a large collection of shots taken from his journey:



















Last one for today is of Dumbo:



So ends the Fantasyland portion of our trip. See more Disneyland Fantasyland photos at my website.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Love the shot of the mermaid! The Pirate Ship looks incomplete somehow, maybe because it doesn't have any sails at all...

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Oh gosh - I am getting so spoiled with this series... Hey Major is right, where are the sails??? Nice closeup of Mr. Ratty's house! Skull Rock & Merlin's pics are perfect. THANKS DAVE!

I like your current Daveland survey, I see the Keel Boats are wining (and I only voted once)...

TokyoMagic! said...

Didn't the mermaid normally hold a scepter?

And does Ratty's house still exist? I know Toad Hall was relocated, but I can't remember if they brought back Mole's and Ratty's homes.

Daveland said...

Good eye, Tokyo...I have photos showing her both ways...with and without scepter. Maybe it was out for a polishing! Based upon a quick look at my Storybook Land page, I do not believe that Mole's & Ratty's homes are still there....I'll have to check on my next visit to the park.

CoxPilot said...

Dave has a great picture from the late '50s showing the sails being replaced (probably after a cleaning and repair). Those Santa Ana winds and the winter rains did some damage and the park would take down the sails during certain seasons.

http://davelandweb.com/fantasyland/images/50s/KT
PBK_50s_N14B.jpg

Chiana_Chat said...

Plus Miss Tuna is obviously waiting in good humor as possible for someone to hoist the left side of her bangs out of her eyes.

What a cute model of Rattys. One thing, they must have had a time keeping that water level for the whole canal system within the tiny range needed so that low lying model wouldn't get swamped.