Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Chicken of the Sea Lantern



Just when I start to get bored with my blog, something like this occurs. I was just contacted by a family member of the man who created this fantastic copper lantern for the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship in Fantasyland. The gentleman on the left is Anthony Ferro, the artisan who handcrafted this beauty. His business was Ferro Sheet metal, which fabricated many of the significant decorative metal installations at Disneyland; the other gentleman in the photo was his business partner. Mr. Ferro also did all the copper ceilings in the Main Street shops, as well as the assembly of all the popcorn machines that were imported from Germany. Sadly, he recently passed away in January.

In image #2 from March 1956, you can see the ship with the lantern attached:





Sadly, the ship became a casualty of the 1983 Fantasyland remodel when the age and condition of the ship would not permit it to be transported to a different location. Instead, it became scrap. I have read/heard that parts of the ship were salvaged and used on the Peter Pan attraction, however, based upon the pictures that I have, I do not believe this lantern was one of those salvage pieces. What a shame.

THIS JUST IN: Progressland sent a link in the comment section to this photo of the ship being dismantled in 1983:



And then TokyoMagic has sent in his photo from Disneyland Paris; although they are similar, sadly, it is not the same lantern:



Many thanks to the Ferro family for contacting me. If you have any information as to what happened to this lantern, please let me know! See more Disneyland Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship photos at my website.

7 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

Another term for the thesaurus!

The Viewliner Limited said...

What can I say but, "FANTASTIC"

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hmmm, why wasn't the Lantern saved or was it? Maybe we'll see it someday on eBay! Thanks Ferro family for sharing.

Dave, don't get bored with your blog, we LOVE IT! I was going to count your posts and say hey, you're only at 1,045! BUT I can't find the previous post thing on the right, is it gone?

Jason Schultz said...

Also see the photo I provided to VDT a year ago, that shows the lantern and plasterwork from the stern of the ship. It's possible the lantern was destroyed in the same manner as the plasterwork.

TokyoMagic! said...

Dave, is this the same lantern?

Disneyland Paris Pirate Ship

I think "E Ticket Magazine" reported that most of the tackle and hardware had been saved from the Anaheim ship and then used in DL Paris when they built that one. It kind of looks the same except for that one knob on top which they could have removed.

Daveland said...

Tim - I'm only at 915 so far! Jason - just figured I'd keep you on your toes with another term for you; would hate for you to get bored. It's a little unclear as to what happened to the lantern, but I am guessing that it was dumped when the rest of the plasterwork from that part of the ship crumbled in the truck that was carrying it.

TokyoMagic! said...

Oops, I just studied the two photos a little closer....the sides of the lantern in Anaheim appear to be straight and sides of the Paris one flare out a bit at the top. It's probably just a close recreation, huh? But pretty darn close!