Friday, September 18, 2020

The Friday Finish


When last I shared the progress of the commissioned vintage portrait I was painting, I still had a ways to go. Once I finish the faces it’s often a struggle for me to keep enthused about the rest of the details. Probably the biggest challenge of the painting was the lady’s sweater which I saved for last. I’m not really sure how happy I am about it, however, I have to admit it came out better than I thought it would. Attempting to put a lot of detail into a "background” element can take the focus off the main subject, which for me is always the face/eyes. Still, being the OCD person I am it is not easy for me to just skip/fluff over details, even if they aren’t central to the painting. So here it is, signed, sealed, and on the way to being delivered.



And because Lou & Sue requested it, here’s the original source photo that was emailed to me:


The world’s toughest art critic seemed to approve.


See more of my paintings at my main website.

5 comments:

"Lou and Sue" said...

Great job, Dave! I think you should also post the original picture, again, by your finished painting so that we can see how much your work matches the photograph.

Your art critic is adorable! Please give him a pet, for me.

Sue

Matthew said...

@Lou and Sue - Couldn't agree more, "Great job, Dave!" Thank you for sharing your art with us Dave.

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle

Anonymous said...

Wow, Great work Dave. Perhaps the next project is that of the critic who may change his mind as a result! KS

Daveland said...

Sue - Done! And thanks!

Matt - Thanks for always being a great cheerleader!

KS: I really do need to paint him. Great suggestion!

Fifthrider said...

Good grief. You nailed it! I can see why you start with the eyes. Who would want to work their way to the center ( and arguably the hardest part ) only to find out if they got it. It just makes sense to start there and see if it can proceed from that point, forward.