Thursday, August 23, 2012

Disneyland June 1966, Pt. 1



I love this colorful shot of the grounds and pool at the Disneyland Hotel, part of a batch from June 1966.

And the secret word for today is "PLAID"!



This little gent is patiently waiting in the courtyard of the Enchanted Tiki Room, standing in front of the Tiki Statue of Pele.



Notice how the rock work in the lower right resembles a skull?



Here's the same area, circa February 2006:



Last one for today shows the natives on the Jungle Cruise, endlessly dancing in a circle while the poor lion at right hangs upside down.



See more vintage and current Disneyland photos on my Disneyland photo web pages.

5 comments:

Thufer said...

I always get a kick out of how everyone stayed on the sidewalks in the early days of the park.
So clean!

K. Martinez said...

What a beautiful Main Street pic. I'm sure the vehicles had no problem traveling down Main Street that day.

TokyoMagic! said...

Dave, does the rockwork in front of Pele still resemble a skull today?

The Plaza Building at the Hotel is under construction in that first pic. I really wish they hadn't torn that down. I loved that building with it's subterranean first floor and all of it's shops....oh, and Maisey's Pantry. The ESPN Zone building sits their now. :-(

Anonymous said...

The natives are celebrating the kill of that lion. Do you know how I can tell that lion is dead? They usually don't stand that way. : )

walterworld said...

The Plaza Building rocked when I was a kid. MagicLand Toy Shop (on the first floor below ground level right by the stairs) was the best, they always had stuff that I didn't see back home..