Sunday, August 12, 2012

Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel and Odds & Ends



Today's post features a few vintage views of the famous Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, starting off with this pre-1952 shot of the front. For those interested in the nearby shops on Hollywood Boulevard, here's a closeup:



A similar view from Christmas 1955 in color:



The Roosevelt was especially known for its pool, where plenty of would-be starlets waited to be seen and discovered:



On my last stay there, I took this shot from the same vantage point:



And yes, I take requests! The other day, I was asked to zoom into the Fantasia Mural at the Welch's Grape Stand in Fantasyland. Unfortunately, not much is really visible, other than the appropriately purple colored trash can with "Welch's" on it:



Zooming into the Storybook Land entrance you can see a worker near the ticket booth:



And great catch on the "New" Tomorrowland construction:



Again, not much to see when I zoom into the windows of the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street:



See more vintage and current Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel photos on my Roosevelt Hotel photo web pages.

5 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Dave - I appreciate the zoom-ins. The Welch's image is actually not bad at all. Since I visited this juice bar regularly, I recognize what's inside very easily.

The "New" Tomorrowland zoom-in is great too. I can see a couple of construction workers at the base of the Circle Vision building as well as the gantry lift behind it. Very nice!

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I love the Welch;s zoom in as well! I dont't remember it, so any clue to the inside is appreciated! As always, your blog is awesome - I really enjoy the vintage and the new pics you share - I haven't been to DCA lately and you beautifully capture all the details that I would be taking pics of if I were there (signs, light fixtures, architecture, etc). Barbara in Orange

TokyoMagic! said...

Thanks for taking the time to do the close-ups, Dave. I can see a baby Pegasus in the mural behind the counter at the Welch's Grape Juice Bar. I think we can also see a plastic "bubbler" or dispenser that would have held the juice.

Daveland said...

Hi all - glad you like the zoom-ins; I had originally done one for Welch's for the first post, but didn't really see much of interest so didn't bother including it. I guess everyone sees something different!

Thanks for the kind words, Barbara! Hope you get to see the new DCA soon!

Connie Moreno said...

Oh Dave, I love the Roosevelt hotel! It is so cool looking inside. Thanks for all the zooms, too!!