Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pirates Grog at Disneyland!



Why was interested in this particular May 1959 image? It's not like I don't already have a gazillion Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant photos in my collection.

Zooming in, you can see the reason: I wanted a better look at the Pirates Grog machine. Anyone know the recipe for Pirates Grog?



This previously posted shot from June 1958 shows the same vending machine, but obscures the trashcan:



See more vintage Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant photos on my Chicken of the Sea web page.

7 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I like the red and white striped shirt. I can't tell if he's a visitor relaxing, or if he's a cast member taking a break. His wardrobe sort of matches the Pirates Ship theme. What's that around his waste?

Nice pics!

K. Martinez said...

I meant, What's that around his waist? duh!

Daveland said...

I assumed he was a cast member; if so, the thing around his waist is probably just a decorative sash. Otherwise, if he's not a cast member, he's fitting into the theme very well!

Anonymous said...

That machine is one of the cup-dispensing-pour variety, so whatever the grog was, it wasn't canned, and probably not carbonated.

I don't remember this at all. The machine I remember was one of those where you pulled a bottle straight out from the little door, but, it's been so long, that could be somewhere else.

Cool graphic on the machine.

Thank you Dave!

JG

sajohns5 said...

Looks like it's a soft drink dispenser. I found this close up image of the machine at Gorilla's Don't Blog (don't you just love it when you can put together a puzzle with fellow Disney bloggers!) You can see coke on one of the buttons for sure: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/bananaphone5000/GORILLLAS/PirateShip50sC.jpg

Connie Moreno said...

Wow how cool!!! I remember those machines! Not at Disneyland, but in general. I remember if the cup didn't fall quite right, your drink would splash into the drain below, causing me to be very disappointed!

walterworld said...

Oh dang I remember those machines where the cup fell!

Last place I saw one (I think) was at a Greyhound station circa 1980.

Thanks Dave!