Saturday, August 28, 2010

Screen Gem Saturdays: Pee Wee’s Playhouse



Crack your jokes and say what you will about Paul Reubens, but his Saturday morning series, “Pee Wee’s Playhouse,” was one of the most creative shows on Television. Ever. 1986–1990, Reubens put on his gray suit and red bow tie and kept the kiddies entertained with his crazy behavior, wacky friends, and imagination-provoking activities.

Miss Yvonne, the most beautiful lady in Puppetland, was one of my favorite characters. What a nut she was. And her clog dance drove men wild. I mean wild. That was the beauty of this show; although designed for children, the innuendos kept adults happy, too.



Anybody care for a delicious breakfast? Pee Wee gave children plenty of way-fun recipes to cook.



The claymation shorts were a hit, too; especially the Dinosaurs and the ADD-inspired Penny Cartoons.



So naturally, as soon as it was announced that Reubens was resurrecting his TV show live onstage in Hollywood, I had to get tickets—clog on girl!

Ssee more Pee Wee Herman photos at my main website.

6 comments:

William Bezek said...

I thought it was brilliant too, from the first HBO special to the Saturday morning show, just fun. I tried to see the movie he is currently in: Life During Wartime, but it played at the theater exactly four days and then was gone, now I have to wait for a DVD.

TokyoMagic! said...

And of course he has a Disney connection too....the voice of Rex in Star Tours! I've heard a rumor that Rex will be removed from the attraction during the current redo. Does anyone know if this is true?

Anonymous said...

I LOVED this show!! Never missed it.

Katella Gate said...

I think this show was not just brilliant, but a high point in entertainment: if found the sweet spot where "kids stuff" and "grown up humor" cross over, just like Looney Toons did.

Connie Moreno said...

Oh my god, I loved, loved, LOVED Pee Wee's show! My son and I would watch it together and then drive my mom crazy screaming whenever the word of the day was mentioned!

Donnie said...

Im going to see it on Broadway in December!!!!