Saturday, August 21, 2010

Screen Gem Saturdays: Elvis—The Way I Like To Remember Him



For the majority of his career, Elvis Presley was an extremely handsome slim and trim man. Sadly, he is mainly remembered today for how he looked and behaved in his final few years when he was paunchy, full of bling, and at times a little out of it. This is just as much a statement on Americans as it is on Elvis. Here are two photos on display at Graceland, which I had the pleasure of visiting last year.



An early color shot of “The King”:



A very early shot of Elvis which is on display at Sun Studio in Mempnis:



I still remember being shocked at hearing the news of Elvis’ death while I was in Junior High Music Class over 33 years ago on August 16, 1977. Like Marilyn, he is almost more famous today than he was while he was alive.

See more Elvis photos at my main website.

2 comments:

pixiegirltink said...

You know, for being such a devastatingly handsome man, I'm not at all impressed by his fingers! Those nail beds are short and make the tips of his fingers look stubby. Ick! LOL

(I'm the kind of girl who looks at men's hands....)

:) me

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hey Great post Dave - this too is how I like to remember Elvis. I recall 8/16/77 very well too, 7th grade summer school algebra 1 - the teacher was so upset class ended right there - when I got home I saw my dad cry for the first and only time in my life....