Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Early Fun with Cutouts!



I recently acquired this shot of a Dopey cutout from Central Plaza’s Art Corner. In this day of high-tech expectations, these cutouts might seem extremely primitive. Personally, I think there will be a backlash and this type of vintage fun will come back into vogue. The rest of this post shows some of the other cutouts that guests could pose behind and have their photos taken at.

Davy Crockett (spelled “Davey” for the cutout) was probably one of the most famous. In the next five photos, you can see that even these cutouts experienced some changes over the short time that they sat near Central Plaza.











Girls could pretend they were Minnie Mouse as a majorette:



What little boy could pass up an opportunity to be Captain Nemo from the Nautilus of 20k?



Donald Duck was popular, too, and in this particular cutout, he would lend his hat to guests for their souvenir photo. It doesn’t appear that there was a Disney sanctioned photographer at this station; rather, guests could take photos themselves. Free of charge. Huh...what a concept!







These cutouts appeared to have disappeared after 1956. The Knott’s Pitchur Gallery still thrives today; perhaps something similar could do well if it were brought back to Main Street today.

View more Disneyland Central Plaza photos at my main website.

9 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I think people would definitely still like these; and with so many characters available, they could change them out regularly.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

I didn't realize there were so many of these cut-outs and that they were all outside! Where was the Matterhorn cutout located, I've got one of the silly Polaroids that's from April 1966 (I guess I should post it)...!

And really, who doesn't love disembodied heads? Great post - Thanks!

Thufer said...

WOW, I so remember these. I think there is a picture of my dad in the Davey Crocket cut out around the house somewhere. The one I love and do not remember as a kid is the Capt. Nemo one. That would be amazing to have a picture of.

Connie Moreno said...

How cool! I have never seen photos like these! And I agree with everyone - these would STILL be a hit today.

Snow White Archive said...

The Dopey "ears" are hilarious!

TokyoMagic! said...

I agree, these would be popular today at DL. I just saw one at Knott's last Friday in front of Pink's, where you can become "hot dog guy" (or girl)....there was a small line of people waiting to pose behind it!

Chris Merritt said...

Wow - stunning to see these in color!

jedblau said...

Fabulous shots!

Anonymous said...

Very fun pictures! I still love posing with cutouts.