Friday, March 06, 2009

Upgrading The Bathroom of Tomorrow



There are certain rare images of Disneyland that I get excited about, even when they’re fuzzy. So, you can imagine I was pretty stoked to get my first photo that actually showed the Crane Bathroom of Tomorrow. Well, as you can see from photo one, it barely shows it. But hey, you can see the letters that spell “Crane”!

Flash forward to photo #2. Things are looking even better, now! A nice clear shot of the same entryway in glorious black and white.



But at Daveland, even that’s not good enough. I combed the ends of the earth to upgrade that image so that you, dear Daveland readers, could see that entryway in glorious Technicolor (with a big “T”). Not that crappy Eastmancolor, but Technicolor. Check out this shot from November 1959:



For Jason: The lady on the right indeed works for Crane, however, that is not a nametag on her dress, it is the insignia for Crane.



See more Disneyland Tomorrowland photos at my website.

10 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

Those gals seem to have their outfits coordinated with the exhibit--no wonder they wanted it in color! The lady in red looks like she might work there; does she have some sort of nametag on?

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Luscious Technicolor, just what the bathroom of the future needs :-)

Thanks for the Pinocchio clip, that was fun, now I gotta gotta get that disc!

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

What I get a kick out of is seeing how formally everyone is dressed! Kids in their Sunday best...Mom's in high heels.

I cannot imagine trotting about Disneyland in high heels. I bet their first aid station had lots of visits from well shod ladies needing bandages for blisters.

I bet most of these ladies were in bare feet by the end of the day.

Daveland said...

Jason - The entry has just been updated to answer your question.

Anonymous said...

When I was a little kid I remember playing with the Crane fountain. It’s one of my earliest memories of Disneyland. You turned the wheel that caused a stream of water to raise one of those cone shaped pieces. The more water, the higher it would be pushed up in the air. So simple, but fun.

Jason Schultz said...

I have the names of some Crane people--I'll see if I can ID her when I get a chance.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nice color photo!!

CoxPilot said...

Leave it to me to notice something no "Crane" related. Notice in the first photo, the plane models for sale. This is were the Cox stuff was sold, and where Bart Klapinski went to work when the flight circle closed down in '65. As I've mentioned before; he worked his way up to be supervisor of retail sales for the Emporium on Maine Street.

Grant said...

The lady in red is (was) my mom. She was one of the original Disneyland tour guides and took the job of staffing the Crane Company exhibit when it opened.

@Progressland - Her name was Pat McCormick. She was a Disneyland employee. Does her name show up in any of your documentation?

I was fortunate to grow up being part of the birth of Disneyland. Tommy Walker, who was in charge of Disneyland entertainment, was best friends with my dad and lived across the street from us. Tommy's dad, Vesey Walker, was the first Disneyland Band leader and lived in our neighborhood. He and his wife were like a grandparents to me and my friends. Summer days during my elementary school years were spent going to work with my mom and roaming the park with a friend or two.

Daveland said...

Grant - That is awesome to have her ID'ed. Thank you so much for that information! Feel free to email me if you have more info you'd care to share - dvdpicasso@aol.com