Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Fantasyland, January 1964



Just a trifle of a series from January 1964; our guest of the day apparently liked Fantasyland, as the only shots I acquired were taken there, beginning with The Motor Boat Cruise. Cruise was the operative word; I see youngsters and I see oldsters...not a teen in sight!

Here we have the wacky giganormous leaves that adorn the exterior of Alice; our photographer du jour seemed to have a case of the shakes. Or else he just couldn’t choose between photographing the people he knew or the attraction decor. Either way, I wouldn’t hire him.





Over at Storybook Land, our guide looks very James Bond-ish with her microphone.



Shaken...not stirred.



Our photographer apparently waited this one out at the dock:



Here’s an odd one; included in this batch is this little home display of leftover tickets and a Magic Kingdom Club card:



OK all you sleuths; we have a name—find that photographer!



Toy Story fans will rejoice today as “Toy Story 3” is released to home video. I was happy to discover that the 3rd installment was every bit as good (if not better) than its predecessors. I’d love to know how many of you rushed up to your attic to get your childhood toys after you watched this film!

Here are some of the hand-drawn (yes, hand-drawn—not everything starts with “a mouse”!) storyboard concept pieces used in development:











In Tron news, here’s a shot of a Sunset Boulevard billboard promoting the upcoming 12/17 release:



View more Disneyland Fantasyland photos at website.

12 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Maybe not the best photog, but thats an awesome shot of the tickets & MKC card!!!!!

stu29573 said...

Ok, I found her. Now what? (She still lives in California, by the way, but I'm not going to give any more details due to privacy)

Connie Moreno said...

Great post today! I swear, the man in the brown suit getting out of the boat looks so much like my dad that I almost spilled my coffee!

SKY PRINCESS said...

I have always found it amusing that the young ladies driving the Story Land boats have English accents. I am also envious of their coats that they don in the cool evenings.

Major Pepperidge said...

The Toy Story drawings may not have involved a mouse, but I'll bet a Cintiq was used!

Daveland said...

Stu - if you'd be up for contacting her, I'd love to know if she remembers these photos and why she got rid of them.

JG said...

Great pictures, esp. the ticket display.

I always liked the young lady guides on the Canal Boats...sounds kind of creepy now, I guess, but I was a kid then! ok?

Also, please share anything about the photographer's memories, nothing personal of course, but if she's willing to share... I love to hear people's stories.

JG

stu29573 said...

Dave, I'll see what I can do. Who knows, she may have thrown them out and didn't mean to or something...or she might not even remember them!

TokyoMagic! said...

Great shot of the entrance to the Storybookland boat storage area before the "flaps" where hung to block the view.

Do you think that photo of the ticket books and MKC card was taken to be sort of a "title card" for when the photographer gives slide shows to friends and family?

Courtney Suzanne said...

This reminds me of my second-ever trip to Disneyland. My father was the designated photographer for this trip. When we got back home and had the pictures developed, we found he had taken maybe one picture of Sleeping Beauty's castle, and the rest were all of the Jungle Cruise! Not one of any of us kids or our mother. "Dad, those animals aren't even real!!!" No wonder my younger sisters have no memory of that trip!

Daveland said...

Chris - You are probably correct in your guess of that image being a title card. I was impressed with using the letters and the nice wood background!

Courtney - When I look back at the photos that my family took on my first trips to Disneyland, I think "That's all??" Of course, they were not as obsessive about the place as I am!

Rich T. said...

I used to consider Motor Boat Cruise a contender for Worst Ride at Disneyland...but now I see that shot of the loading dock and get all sentimental about it! It was certainly better than no ride there at all...

I'm mesmerized by that second shot of the Alice ride: The composition of that leaf cluster is awesome! Though I love the remodeled version (pre-safety rails) there's something very cool about the original, which didn't have the scale-breaking real foliage added in.