Tuesday, November 30, 2010

B&W, March 4, 1959



Even in a photo devoid of color, you can find some cool things to marvel at! Feast your eyes on this shot of The Rainbow Mountain Railroad with the Matterhorn under construction in the background!

The wheel of the Old Mill on Tom Sawyer’s Island just keeps turning...kind of like Ol’ Man River!



The fishing pier of Tom Sawyer’s Island has a few customers; today, I’d be afraid to eat anything that came from the Rivers of America!



The C.K. Holliday is cruising through the Frontierland Depot, waaaaay before New Orleans Square and the Haunted Mansion came into being:



See more Disneyland photos at my main website.

5 comments:

JG said...

The fishing pier looks like a concession? Did they rent the poles or give them away? What was in the river to catch anyway? Tennis shoes?

I remember that structure with the painted signs, but do not remember the activity being available. I was always too busy running around to sit and fish. I'm still that way today.

I love this Frontierland series, thank you.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Great B&W series!

Daveland said...

The first few years, I believe they stocked the river with fish. Not sure if/how much they charged, but I guess it got to be a hassle for guests carrying around the smelly fish all day so it was stopped soon after!

Connie Moreno said...

I thought I read somewhere that you were supposed to throw the fish back in...still...that would make a mighty smelly river!

Anonymous said...

Trout were stocked in an netted (the net was was pretty much hidden) area around the pier. Visitors paid for the use of a pole and could have their catch cleaned and stored (refrigerated) for them at the main gate for pick up later in the day (on the way home, I suppose). This was all an attempt to emulate Knott's Old Mill Stream attraction: http://ochistorical.blogspot.com/2008/03/old-mill-stream-knotts-berry-farm.html