Tuesday, March 17, 2009

More 1955 Images & Mystery River



Just a few more images from the same batch as yesterday’s Frontierland Depot shots. View #1 is a great one of the original Jungle Cruise dock. I have included a close-up of the signage; probably the most readable one in my collection (other than the palm fronds in the way).



I normally wouldn’t include a shot this blurry, but it seemed somewhat odd. This appears to be either Tom Sawyer Island or somewhere along the banks of the Rivers of America. Did this area grow into Cascade Peak? Whatever it is/was, I am not familiar with a flowing water area here back in 1955. Anyone know where or what this is?



In DVD/Blu-ray news, Disney has done it again! I skipped “Bolt” in the theaters, and am now sorry that I did. Having just watched it on Blu-ray, I was blown away by its visual quality. Art Director Paul Felix is to be congratulated for his use of light and painterly effects. Although the characters are obviously CGI (infused with the life and emotion you’d expect from Disney animation), the backgrounds have a hand-rendered feeling. It is a combination of looks that I have not seen before, and it really works well. I will be as bold as to say that “Bolt” is one of the first films showing a level of mastery in CGI that allows the artistry to drive the film rather than the capabilities of the tool. True, the story of the film is really nothing earth-shattering, but the visual quality, characterizations, special effects, and talents of John Travolta and Miley Cyrus elevate this one to a “must-see.” Special kudos go to Susie Essman for the vocal talents behind the character Mittens.



See more Disneyland photos at my website.

7 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

Is that hill with the water the spot where the Tom Sawyer Island treehouse would eventually be built?

Daveland said...

You could be right; that would make it The 3 Falls.

Jason Schultz said...

I'd agree that that's the location of the future Tom and Huck's Treehouse. Be sure to edit your post labels, Dave. ;)

Daveland said...

I am right on it Jason - thanks!

Major Pepperidge said...

I have seen other pictures with that mini cascade, and thought that it was still there in some form. I'm probably wrong, of course!

Now I'm curious about "Bolt", although I will always wonder what the Chris Sanders version would have been like (I saw some test scenes that looked great)!

Anonymous said...

I love that sign on the Jungle Cruise dock!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Nice post Dave! Major, I think the mini-cascade/river is still there. It is different and I think part of the "3 Falls" Dave talks about. I know there is still a lot of water rushing out from the base of tree house and running down into the river. I need to get over to the Tom Sawyers Island, I've avoided it ever since the pirates took over.