Monday, December 29, 2008

Early Tomorrowland Exhibits: The Dairy Bar


I don’t know a lot of info on this particular "exhibit" in Tomorrowland, other than its operating dates of January 21, 1956 to September 1, 1958. One thing I can speculate on is that Walt needed some cash and the American Dairy Association stepped up to the plate. Using the slogan, “Today’s Food Builds Tomorrow’s Man,” Disney was able to barely justify the presence of this exhibit in the middle of Tomorrowland. Guests could see what future farming might be like before partaking of a glass of “Nature’s most nearly perfect food” at the Dairy Bar. Note the Crane Bathroom of Tomorrow on the left side of this photo:


Here guests crowd around the displays:


Read the story of your dairy products while seeing the future of milk delivery in a helicopter!


Here’s Rusty Frost (or so the photo caption tells us) at the Dairy Bar:


See more vintage & current Tomorrowland photos at my regular website.

11 comments:

CoxPilot said...

Well that takes the cake! You've finally posted something about Disneyland that I never knew existed. I remember the Dutch Boy exhibit, but not the Dairy barn. Great pics. The clarity of the black and whites really transport you back to that time.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

WOW Dave, super rare interior shots! These are a blast (from the past) to gaze at, gotta love the "Milk Port" and Rusty Frost and his little future flying machine are priceless! THANKS DAVE!

Daveland said...

Lee - I am in shock to have stumped you; but it definitely made my day!

Anonymous said...

Dave - Now THAT is what I call obscure! It's delightful to know there are still some things we never knew about Disneyland. Thank you so much for your ongoing retroarcheology!

Unknown said...

Fantastic shots!

Katella Gate said...

Only Disney could make milk so fun.

- So I'm gonna can that Coke and "Make Mine Milk!"

Chris Jepsen said...

Dave, this series on early Tomorrowland exhibits is absolutely amazing! These images are rarer than frog teeth. Most of what I know about these exhibits comes from The Nickel Tour, which is a great book, but which only provides an image or two of each. Thanks for posting this stuff!

outsidetheberm said...

Outstanding series, Dave!

Have you ever had the opportunity to look through the Disney photo archives at the studio? I believe I've seen some very similar photos there. Great material!

Daveland said...

I've never been to the Disney archives; sounds like my idea of a candy store!

Anonymous said...

Helicopter dairy deliveryman? Disney was really MILKING IT!! ;-)
-Rich Koster

Matterhorn1959 said...

Somewhere I have a spoon from the ice cream served at the Dairy of Tomorrow as well as some images of a kid having his birthday at the exhibit with a Donald Duck cake. This is one of those places that has slipped out of people's minds. Now if you can find the interior of the Richfield World Beneath Us show and display....