Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Early Tomorrowland Exhibits: The Crane Bathroom of Tomorrow



It’s a day of being stingy, as I present only 1 new image to represent the Crane Plumbing Bathroom of Tomorrow, which opened on April 5, 1956 and was also called Fun With Water. It featured a display of citrus yellow "Criterion" fixtures, designed by Henry Dreyfuss. The last part of this exhibit was called "Industrial Flow Control,” which was a display of "Valves in Industry," where guests could use the valves to control the flow of water in a colorful display of transparent “pipes.”

This previously posted image of the Spaceman shows the entrance to this "attraction." The Crane Bathroom of Tomorrow became part of the past when it closed on August 31, 1965.



See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland Tomorrowland photos at my main website.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many Guests entered saying, "'Bathroom of Tomorrow'? But I need to use it TODAY!!"
-Rich Koster

Katella Gate said...

It may be the "bathroom of tomorrow", but I know it still doesn't have a bidet.

Major Pepperidge said...

Just because you didn't post 20 images doesn't make today's post "stingy"!

Unknown said...

I love the ladies in the heels! Was there a Powder Room of Next Week?

;)

Anonymous said...

http://icanhaspixiedust.com/2008/12/31/tomorrowland-bathroom-of-tomorrow/

Unknown said...

I was born and raised here in E.Hollywood I have pictures of the Crane Co showroom when it was on Highland between Santa Monica and Melrose, technically the building is still there but not the same DunLop had it for many years but the sidewalk is just sad and faded, one would never know to look at it today. store was just amazing it was art deco the sidewalks were also done with a chevron pattern black and white concrete with glitter I remember I was about 5 in the mid 70's that glitter still sparkled like nothing I have ever seen even today it was like flashcubes going off I remember thinking that too. A favorite no one remembers not even my friend Martin Turnbull. He's a writer and a blogger and wrote a book about one of the places that was out here called ''The Garden of Allah'' I sent him pics of the building last week he was like a deer in headlights he never knew it existed as many don't thank you for posting about it that was a nice surprise I wish I would have been able to see it in person I was born in 72