Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Adventureland & The Tahitian Terrace, 1969



This 1969 Adventureland image yields a few interesting closeups; first up is a side view of the Bazaar:



On the right side of the shot we can see the signage for one of the most missed Disneyland Restaurants of all time, The Tahitian Terrace:



Here's another shot of the same sign:



And just to whet your appetite even more, here's the menu from this sentimental favorite:



Thumbs up to the creatives at Disney for making the names sound so exotic, even though the menu itself is not necessarily all that exciting.





See more vintage & current Disneyland Adventureland photos on my Adventureland web page.

6 comments:

Chiana_Chat said...

I'll take the Teriyaki Chicken and flaming ice cream! Now there was a restaurant with Atmosphere that could even compete with Blue Bayou. All it needed was some better food... and even as it was I was delighted to be there. I miss it and I believe that Disney should restore it now.

Thanks so much for the excellent post on this favorite place! The scene, the signage, the menu, it's all tiki-riffic and delightful. :)

Connie Moreno said...

I love the graphics on that menu!!! By the way, wasn't the food at Disneyland rather blah during the first several years? I always heard a lot of complaints about that. I know that in the early 90's they made a real effort to improve the food. Too bad they took out the Tahitian Terrace; I never got to go inside. Guess that's why I LOVE going to Tangaroa Terrace at the hotel!

Anonymous said...

thanks Dave, right in the center of my era. These are keepers.

JG

Anonymous said...

Would ya look at the lack of a crowd? Oh those were the days. The Terrace always seemed busy when it was open only for the busy days. Guess it couldn't make much of a profit but I think they could do OK by making it a high end restaurant today. Would be a nice return to an otherwise dull (dead) portion of the land. Just the sound of the entertainment added so much.

TokyoMagic! said...

What a wonderful shot of Adventureland. I remember buying incense for my grandmother at that outdoor cash register. I think those might even be brass incense burners sitting on the counter. And I like that drinking fountain with the painted bamboo paneling (next to the tree).

MouseChow said...

Wow, I am in love with that menu! As a lover of both Disney and tikiana, that is just blowing my mind. Thank you!!