Wednesday, March 25, 2009

April 1964, Pt. 2: BW Skyway Trip



Today we will soar over the park in our classic Skyway bucket. We start out in Tomorrowland and pass by the Douglas Moonliner and Rocket to the Moon attraction. Looks like Cox Pilot and coworker might be setting up for the next show at the Flight Circle.

In shot 2, we continue our journey towards Fantasyland, passing over the Submarine Voyage.



We’ll dip down for just a second to get a closer look at the Seawolf sub:



Don’t be frightened by the Matterhorn; fortunately there are two holes just the right size for our Skyway bucket to sail through:



Crossing over to Fantasyland, our appetite for lunch begins as we spot some of the famous tuna burgers on the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant:



On the other side of the bucket, those spinning teacups might make us a little dizzy. I hope those plastic lawnchairs bolted into the Skyway bucket are secure! Be sure to note the warning inside of the bucket!



Next up is Dumbo, and of course we’ll dip down for a closer look at him, too.





Last but not least is a closeup of the photo of the Frontierland Depot from yesterday’s post. TokyoMagic, I'll let you decide if that's a ticket booth or not.



And for those of you who haven’t seen a Golden Horseshoe poster, here it is in living color:



See more Disneyland Skyway photos at my website.

5 comments:

Thufer said...

dave, thanks for the poster, i do not remember that. very cool poster.

i still think the skyway 'tunnel' through the matterhorn was one of the most original aspects of the park. besides the fact that the skyway was just plain fun, the aspect of the buckets going thru the mountain was an entertaining side show to watch when at the park. maybe it's just me, but i prefer my matterhorn WITH holes. i have fond memories of following friends or family as they flew across. or, vice versa, following them on the ground.

Katella Gate said...

Thanks for posting the precious Pepsi Poster Dave. Them's my girls -- kick 'em high ladies!

CoxPilot said...

Great B&Ws. Wish the were clearer. No way to tell if that's me or not, but probably. Two guys in the center and one at a bench to the left. You can also see a box of supplies on the center cabinet. Looks like a winter day (no leaves on the trees), and the crowds are thin.

TokyoMagic! said...

Fun Skyway trip. Just like being there!

Thank you for the closeup shot from yesterday. Progressland mentioned yesterday that it was a ticket booth...and it sure does look like one to me.

Now you don't have to go scanning this for a closeup....unless you really want to, but I think I can see the house that served as an administration building in your first pic today. It's off in the distance beyond the Flying Saucers. I believe that stood there until construction began on Space Mt.

Major Pepperidge said...

Nice set of B&W pics; these remind me of the zillions of photos that I took when I had my Kodak Instamatic when I was a kid... my mom was OK with paying for developing, as long as we used black and white film. I didn't take any at Disneyland unfortunately...