Monday, July 14, 2008

July 17, 1968: 13th Anniversary, Pt. 1



By this time, New Orleans Square was almost in full swing; shops were open, Pirates of the Caribbean was open, and the Haunted Mansion was only about a year away from its debut. Here are a few shots of New Orleans Square, including the Court of Angels:



And a contemporary shot of the Court:



Two last views of New Orleans Square:





Here are The Young Men from New Orleans playing on the Mark Twain:



See more vintage and current Town Square photos at my regular website.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

One of my favorite areas of Disneyland.

I do like the color choices today.

Any chance of getting a blow up of the sign on the left-hand side of the new Court of Angels? And the plaque on the wall?

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, more great stuff as always Dave. I especially love that photo of a busy New Orleans Square. Those brightly patterned clothes take me back to my childhood!

Katella Gate said...

New Orleans Square is certainly the high-water mark for period architecture in Disneyland. We're never going to see those "semi-hidden" courtyards again - ever.

The cost per square foot to build those courtyards was astronomical. And given that they can't be marketed, used as a shop, and the vast majority of people won't see/notice them means they will remain a "one of a kind" gift from Walt himself.

Matt said...

That's called the Court of the Angels? Huh. One of my favorite spots in Disneyland.

Katella, your comment is sad yet so true.

Anonymous said...

I was there that summer. Great photos!