Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Spin Around the Carrousel



Disneyland's King Arthur Carrousel typically gets the shaft when I visit Disneyland. Even though it's smack-dab in the middle of Fantasyland, I typically don't pay much attention to it as I rush to get in line for one of the dark rides. Today's post is a tribute to this beauty with a mix of new and old images, some previously unpublished, such as this 1959 shot below. I love it when there is a band or music group playing on the Carrousel. It adds an extra element of fun to this attraction that makes you feel like you're a kid again.



An undated image of the Carrousel:



and the obligatory detailed view of the signage:



This March 1956 photo is one of my favorites from my collection, showing a refurbishment in progress less than one year after the park was open.





From September 1958:



The band takes a spin around on August 7, 1957:



with a flash forward to the Pearly Band in a recent view:



I hereby solemnly swear to ride the Carrousel when I visit next month…as long as it's open!

See more Daveland King Arthur Carrousel photos at my main website.

2 comments:

K. Martinez said...

I take a ride on the King Arthur Carrousel once every trip I take down to the Resort. For me, it's at the very heart of Disneyland. I love watching the panorama of Fantasyland fly by when riding the Carrousel. I still find it quite magical.

One of the ways I keep Disneyland fresh for me is to once in a while forego the usual stuff I do at Disneyland and target the attractions, restaurants and shops I usually ignore or say I will do one day. It makes a visit to the Park feel like a new experience again. Last trip I rode the Canoes and did the Shooting Gallery, both of which I hadn't done in many years. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The one thing I still haven't done at Disneyland is Café Orleans and a Monte Cristo sandwich. That's for next visit.

Fifthrider said...

Around the time of the release of Saving Mr. Banks I noticed a bit of additional ridership on the Carousel. Nice to see the improved interest thanks to a little mention here and there.