Friday, September 06, 2013

Chemistry at Night



In High School, I hated Chemistry. It was the blot on my Senior Year report card...the one low point of my fairly solid academic achievement. Despite those horrible memories, I was able to tap into my inner joy when I came across this December 1960 photo of the Monsanto Hall of Chemistry, taken by a guest during their visit to Disneyland. It is definitely postcard-worthy, don't you think?

Compared to this 1955 daytime shot, you can see how much of a difference lighting can make in a photograph.



See more vintage Disneyland Monsanto Hall of Chemistry photos on my Hall of Chemistry web page.

4 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Definitely postcard-worthy. At first glance I thought they were the cover for some pamphlet I missed. Beautiful!

Major Pepperidge said...

That first one is a real beauty. The door is open, it makes me want to step into the photo and then into the Hall of Chemistry!

Anonymous said...

1955 missed the cool atom on the wall too!

JG said...

Beautiful. These buildings do not feature in my memory at all, although I know that I walked past them as a child.

Very classic facades, the lighting and water features carried forward into the 1967 redesign. It's a great look.

JG