Monday, January 17, 2011

June 1959



June 1959: What an exciting time at the park! The debut of the Subs, The Monorail, and The Matterhorn! Today, I am celebrating that special time by showing you NONE of the aforementioned attractions. That’s right readers: it’s called alternative programming, and I’ve got it here. You’re going to hop on a raft and spend the entire post on Tom Sawyer’s Island.



Oh Fort Wilderness: to see your wooden gates open wide, and the treasures located inside; it warms my heart.



This poor misguided girl seems to think she’s at the Snow White Wishing Well. Hold on dear—you’re only about 2 years too early.



This one is a mystery to me; numerically, I would say that it has to be on Tom Sawyer’s Island based on the photos that surround it. Still...it’s totally unfamiliar to me and looks more like it belongs in the Indian Village. Anyone know about this sign/fence and the tepees inside?



There’s no way these two are planning on making up any time soon. They’ve chosen opposite sides of the rock and aren’t budging until the other one apologizes! Yup; just chalk this one up to a summertime kiddie meltdown!



See more Disneyland Tom Sawyer Island photos at my main website.

7 comments:

stu29573 said...

Weren't the "unfriendly Indians" on Tom Sawyer Island? Hence, the burning cabin?

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, these are quite nice. The view with two rafts at once is great, and even the Mark Twain image has a neat feel to it.

The Disneyland RR used to go right behind the friendly Indian village, could this have been taken from a moving train? Anyway, this one is SUPER fantastic, never seen one like it.

CoxPilot said...

I think that gate is the access to the indian village that one sees from the river boat.

TokyoMagic! said...

That gate was (and I think it still is) located just behind Fort Wilderness. That was as far north on the island that you could go. The little cemetary would've been located just behind the photographer.

Anonymous said...

What Tokyo Magic said.

I remember that sign very well. Always wanted to go beyond, but never did.

Thanks Dave, these are great.

JG

Connie Moreno said...

Wowie kazowie! Those were great! So the rafts loaded in a different spot back then, huh? I remember during the 50th birthday year, the fort was open. I have pictures to prove it.

walterworld said...

The teeter-totter rock was still working into the late 90's; I have some video somewhere of my kids and I on it.

I can also remember Fort Wilderness still in it's glory with shooting rifles and the Regimental Headquarters with the wax figured- Davy Crockett and Georgie Russell standing around.. Summer '98 was the last hurrah for that stuff I think...