Thursday, January 13, 2011

Traveling Thursdays: Bob's Big Boy, Ellen, & Tart with the Gaggle of Gals



Last week, thanks to my friend Marlene, I was able to see a live taping of the Ellen Show with the Gaggle of Gals. For our special road trip day, my pop-culture guru friend Doug suggested Bob’s Big Boy in Burbank for our lunch. What a great suggestion, as it is chock full of retro goodness!







The girls just couldn’t wait to have their photo taken with Bob:



Of course I couldn’t be left out:



After lunch, we headed over to the Warner Brothers Studio, parked the car, and unfortunately, I had to leave the camera behind. Yes, even I obey some rules about cameras.



Cell phones were allowed to be used up until we got into the studio itself; while in the waiting area, Mar-Mar snapped shots of our passes into the show:



I posed with Pilar and showed off my pass...



...shortly before I took a quick disco nap. Anyone who knows me knows that the chances of me falling asleep in the middle of a show, movie, or almost any event is almost guaranteed if I don’t get a nap in first.



The freezing cold temperature of Ellen’s studio helped keep me awake. Her schtick throughout the show was that she would be exercising continuously. And she did.



Ryan Gosling entered to a cheering crowd; he really was an excellent guest. The two had a very good banter going back and forth, and he did a great job of deflecting Ellen’s not-so-subtle inquiries as to his relationship status with Michelle Williams.



Thanks to my bright red rugby shirt, if you squint, you can see me in the audience:





Gosling showed off his Jumpin' Jammerz, which he not only gifted to his family for Christmas, but to the studio audience as well, who immediately put them on! Mine was cute, but way too small, so it was given to one of my friends when I returned.





Camille Grammer was the other guest; she basically got courtesy applause.



Ellen seemed totally incredulous that Camille would allow her life to be taped. Despite saying that it was Kelsey's idea, I really don’t think anyone bought it. No matter how much she claimed that she was not "the character" portrayed on "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills," she still seemed crazy to me.



From one tart to another Tart, we enjoyed a delicious dinner at Tart, located at The Farmer’s Daughter Hotel directly across from The Grove Shopping Center in Hollywood.







Mar-Mar’s birthday was the perfect excuse to order Tart’s S'more pie!



This one deserves a closeup!



Thanks to the Gaggle of Gals for another great day!

See more Hollywood photos at my main website.

14 comments:

stu29573 said...

Great. Now I want a Bog Boy Burger... and there arn't any more around here. Crud.

stu29573 said...

er...that should have been BIG Boy Burger...Oh well...

TokyoMagic! said...

I haven't been to that Bob's for a couple years, but I need to go because now I'm craving their Pappy Parker's Fried Chicken. Oh, and I can't order it without thinking about the old commercial with the stop-motion Pappy Parker and the way he would pronounce "Friiiiiiied Chicken"!

Katella Gate said...

Is Ships still around, or did they tear that down too? Gone like The Parasol?

Daveland said...

I believe Ships closed about 10 years ago; if I remember correctly, the Sign might still be there too.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Great post, what a fun day! Hey - I know that Gaggle and they are a blast! Daveland taking a nap - priceless!!!!

Connie Moreno said...

That's what I did last year and I KNOW you had a blast!! Big Boy and Ellen in the same day, LOL! What a treat.

pixiegirltink said...

We need to have lunch again. Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Chris Jepsen said...

I've posed with the same Bob statue. http://www.flickr.com/photos/traderchris/2514916249/

That really is the best Bob's I've eaten at since the 1980s. This one is tops, with the new one in Downey as a close runner-up.

Unfortunately, the chain is inconsistant. Some branches really are closer to "Bog's" than "Bob's." Steer clear of the one in Walnut, for instance. Very disappointing, with the exception that it's still in an Armet & Davis building.

Also, whatever happened the thick "Silver Goblet Milkshakes" Bob's once served?!? That was a classic part of the Bob's experience.

Robby Cress said...

Sounds like an excellent day! Ryan Gosling is a guest I wouldn't mind catching at a taping - plus the pajamas look pretty fun! To top things off with a S'more's pie - yum!

TokyoMagic! said...

Hey, I forgot about those silver goblet milkshakes.....and what about the Hot Fudge Cake? Now I really need to get back up there!

Dave, do you know if they still have "drive-in" nights with car hop service? I remember a lot of people brought classic cars on those nights.

JG said...

Oh, Bob's. There were a few of those where I grew up. Loved them.

Now they're gone. Good to see that some survive. I always wince when I see the old buildings.

I have to settle for In-N-Out, which has it's own charms, but nothing like Bob's.

Glad you had a good day, dave.

JG

Daveland said...

Chris - They actually have a website AND a Facebook fan page; the website claims that they still have the Carhop service:

http://www.bobs.net/

CoxPilot said...

Great post Dave: Used to be a Bob's in Fullerton where we would go all the time and get the Chili
Spaghetti. Mmmmmm!