Sunday, January 02, 2011

June 1963: Nature’s Wonderland



Still spending some time in the colorful era of Summer 1963 with these Nature’s Wonderland images. The town of Rainbow Ridge is a fave “detail” of mine when it comes to vintage Disneyland park design. I could have spent almost a full day just studying all of the details in this area alone.





Zooming in for a closeup, this poor guest loaded down with baggage looks as if he thought he was really going to take a train some place. Either that or his wife has brow-beaten him into carrying all of her crap so that her hands can be free for a churro.



See more Disneyland Nature's Wonderland photos at my main website.

4 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I'll bet that guy was carrying one of those forbidden picnic lunches in the basket. Fans of slurry (they seem to be out there) are going to like these too!

Connie Moreno said...

When did they start selling churros???

TokyoMagic! said...

Thanks for these, Dave. I can never get enough of Rainbow Ridge or Nature's Wonderland.

Connie, I think they began selling churros in the late eighties. I was surprised because it had always been a Knott's thing. I remember thinking that Disney was finally just copying Knott's by adding a "log ride" and "churros."

JG said...

I don't know when they started selling churros, but I know that when I came back to the park in the mid '90's after about 15 years absence, churro's, of which I had never heard, were suddenly everywhere. I am sure there were no churros in Disneyland in my youth, which extends way past 1963.

Turns out, they are really good. Like these pics.

JG