Sunday, August 02, 2009

Sailing Through Sundays on The JC: Boat Names Pt. 2



Tech Skip had requested a pic of the Mekong Maiden, who no longer sails on the Nile River, and naturally Kevin Kidney came up with this 1970’s image. Thanks for pulling through again, Kevin! I am also including his shot of the Amazon Belle & Suwanee Lady signs, as I do not believe they were included in the last Boat Name post, either.





TECH SKIP: “Mekong and Maggie were pulled when the boats became bigger. At least that was the explanation I was given. Also the boats went from the specific 1900's circus style to the rugged style they have today. The boats each had a specific theme at first. They were themed with props, one would be a music boat, or a floating kitchen, or an artists boat. This is also when the signs matured from simple names to specific fonts, patterns, and artwork. This Mekong is different from the 1 I have seen, likewise I've seen 2 different ones of the Maggie... so I am not sure how often they changed the paint job.”

Tech Skip requested a side-by-side comparison of the Boat Signs (for all you armchair enthusiasts who don't want to click multiple times yourselves), so here they are. Again, thanks to Kevin for supplying the 70's version pics:



Any other skippers that would like to contribute material can email me at dvdpicasso@aol.com. See more Disneyland Jungle Cruise photos at my website.

2 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Well, I sure didn't know that the boats themselves had been replaced at some time... I just thought they had been repainted.

Thanks for the side by side boat signs, it's interesting to compare them. Some of the modern ones look a bit cheesy with their various "exotic" fonts; there's something to be said for uniformity sometimes!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like there weren't replaced. How many remain on the Nile??