Tuesday, August 04, 2009

1960’s BW: The Flying Saucers



The Flying Saucers only lasted 5 years at Disneyland, but are still one of the most talked-about attractions of the past. Here are two shots from May 1962 & 1963 respectively.





This last shot was used in Disney publicity advertising attractions of the past:



I’m still keeping my fingers crossed that the Luigi’s Flying Tires attraction in the new and improved DCA (due in 2012) will be able to replicate the Flying Saucers...WITHOUT the mechanical problems! See more Disneyland Flying Saucer photos at my website.

8 comments:

CoxPilot said...

It looks like the first photo of the people on the saucers is of cast members testing the system. The wall behind them indicates to me that this was before the ride was open. I remember riding on them several times a day for over a month.

In the second photo, there is a guy in a suit waiting in line (to the left) that looks like he's using a cell phone. Naaaaa!

Great pics Dave.

TokyoMagic! said...

I wonder what's up with the guy in the third pic that's just sitting there with his arms crossed.....HEY, you're in Disneyland! Try and have some fun!

Major Pepperidge said...

I hope that Luigi's Flying Tires turns out to be great, but the concept seems odd compared to the saucers. You're flying - in a TIRE? A "Toy Story" theme might make more sense; it literally could be a giant air hockey table!

Anonymous said...

Man it would be a hoot to have them reincarnated at DCA. What happy memories of long lines and a short but exhilarating ride. As for the first photo, I say that the ride was open. The wall separates T-land with the backstage locker room building.

Eric said...

Great first drawing, can't beat an original from Bob Gurr

CoxPilot said...

Anonymous: Your right. What was I thinking. I guess I just got turned around in my old age.

Anonymous said...

Hey CoxPilot, I'm not that far away from that feeling myself :).

Eric said...

I cannot wait till Carsland opens and able to ride Luigi's roaming tires