Saturday, August 29, 2009

Philadelphia Freedom



Although I grew up on the outskirts of Philadelphia, I never really spent a whole lot of time IN the city...until I got old enough to drive myself. I remember as a little kid, as soon as we got near Philly, the powerlocks on the car went “thunk.” That was my impression of Philadelphia.

On a recent trip to Philly, I’d have to say that my opinion of the city really turned around. I stayed overnight in the heart of the historic area at the Best Western Independence Park Hotel. Perfect location (even if they didn’t have a parking garage at the hotel), well-priced, and well appointed. I did a very quick walking tour that evening (and the next morning) of the historic area, taking photos like a mad man. It is amazing to think how much of our country’s birth began right in this city.

Unlike my early not-so-favorable childhood memories of Philly, the city was clean, felt safe, and also looked much better than I remember. My last minute choice of restaurants for dinner turned out to be a winner: Bistro Romano. Yum.













See more Philadelphia photos at my website.

No comments: