Thursday, March 06, 2008

Disneyland, October 1966 Pt. 9



For those of you still with me, today is the last day of this October 1966 series, and we end it with a rowsing tour of the Jungle Cruise in Adventureland. So hop on the Mekong Maiden and let’s go! Shot #2 is the touching scene of an elephant with her baby, having fun in the water, while a smiling croc waits nearby.



More frolicking elephants:



Even today, this is one of the hardest areas to shoot, due to the lighting and the cliffs behind the elephant; my shots usually come out too dark. This photographer feels my pain...



In these old photos, I never can tell which of these African Bull Elephants is the mother-in-law; you be the judge.



Fortunately for these hungry lions, Imagineers took pity on them baking on the hot sun and eventually built them a cave.



The African Veldt scene, full of the twisted humor of one of my Disney favorites, Marc Davis:



Plenty o’ skulls to choose from for you headhunters:

The infamous Native dance, sure to be popular at the next event you attend:



Back to present day, here is a construction shot of the Plaza Pavilion, which is undergoing a rehab to improve the kitchen, so that it can be used for prep for other restaurants about to go under the knife as well. Good planning there! Hopefully this will pave the way for a return of the Tahitian Terrace. Talk about Year of a Million Dreams...



See more vintage and current Disneyland Jungle Cruise photos at my Jungle Cruise web page.

7 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Dave, didn't I hear or read somewhere that the Plaza Pavilion is going to be the new home for the Disney Gallery?

Daveland said...

Yes Tim - that was one of the considerations. The last "news"/rumor I read last week was that the Pavilion was to cover for some restaurants in New Orleans Square that were about to lose their kitchens for renovations. What happens to it afterwards is unknown. Next to the Opera House, they have set up an "art" exhibit with a few collectibles that seems like it is supposed to mimic the Gallery at some level.

Major Pepperidge said...

Wow, that would be very cool is Viewliner's rumor is correct!

Unknown said...

I can never decide:
HM, JS or Splash...

Which is my favorite ride?

Nice shots!

The Viewliner Limited said...

Hi Dave this is Richard, Tim is the guy with the tickets LOL. Here is the link over at Micechat about the Plaza Pavilion/Disney Gallery. http://micechat.com/forums/blog.php?b=251

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Viewliner, you can pretend to be me and stay on hold for 7 hours with TimeWarner trying to fix my internet!

Dave I was with you for this whole series and I totally enjoyed it. I love series posts, it's like time travel with multiple chapters, keep up the great work!

"Return of the Tahitian Terrace" how sweet would that be!!!

Daveland said...

Sorry Richard & Tim; it's official...I need more sleep!