Monday, March 24, 2008

The Devlin Collection: “New” Tomorrowland, 1966



The Devlin family has allowed their collection of 1960’s slides to be scanned and shown here on my site/blog. Probably the most amazing views are these construction shots from approximately December 1966 that show construction of the “New” Tomorrowland. This is my favorite image from the batch, as we can contrast the Tomorrowland of Old (The House of the Future, before it was hacksawed apart, and the Monorail Track)) and the framework of the new show buildings. Every building from before was demolished. New attractions included The Carousel of Progress, Adventure thru Inner Space, The PeopleMover, and an improved Rocket Jet ride (the Astro Jet attraction atop the PeopleMover platform). Here are three other construction views:







Meanwhile, I have finished (in between scanning) the 1st of 2 paintings for the Golden Horseshoe Event this Saturday night; I call it Wallyhol, as it is a cross between Wally Boag and Andy Warhol:



Many thanks to the Devlin family for allowing these images to be seen. Stay tuned for more “New” Tomorrowland photos.

See more vintage & current "New" Tomorrowland photos on my "New" Tomorrowland web page.

8 comments:

Jason Schultz said...

I stumbled upon these on Dave's web site on Saturday. Truly extraordinary! It looks like they didn't actually tear the north and south exhibit buildings down completely, though--anybody know if that's true? Oh, and I hear when the 20,000 Leagues exhibit was removed, they found some HUGE rats!

Major Pepperidge said...

Yes, these are amazing! You really can see how drastic the changes were, there's hardly anything there.

Thufer said...

indeed. very interesting set of pictures. please add my 'thank you' to the Devlins and ty for posting them. i look forward to more.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

WOW!!!!! These are seriously rare gems! I'll be staring at these all day!!!!

I think the main exhibit buildings are still the same. The south one has had it's roof raised & rearranged for Star Tours. Use Live search to compare the north building with old photo's, the "round" roof section appears to be the same. I've noticed this on the roofs in Fantasyland too, you can still see the outlines of the original buildings.

Dave, your “Wallyhol” is stellar, nice work! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Unknown said...

wow...

Got more?

Bearride - Raymond said...

I never realized how big the basement of the tomorrowland terrace is. WOW! WOW! WOW!
More please!

Chris Merritt said...

Wow - I'm in awe on these ones...

Tricia Rennea (sometimes Daisy) said...

Golden Horseshoe event? Did I find this blog too late? I too am a Disneyland fan.