Sunday, December 31, 2006

Storybook & Casey Junior



It’s a huge one today, folks. Hope your computer has enough memory for all of these (although it shouldn't take as long as one of Matterhorn's SOP Manuals!) Today I am presenting a large selection from two of my favorite rides that coexist very well together: Casey Junior and The Storybook Canal. Although both were basically present opening day, malfunctions kept Casey closed until 7/31, and it wasn’t until about 1956 that Storybook became the ride it is today. The miniature buildings and plantings always amazed me. For me, this ride accomplished what Snow White was supposed to; since there are no people, you feel like you are part of this world. Well, at least until you see something jarring like a full-sized duck sunbathing on the shores of the Canal! So, enjoy this medley of scenes from Casey & The Canal. The last slide is one I recently acquired (totally unrelated) that shows the Snow White attraction in March 1968; I have lightened the load area to show some of the detail a little better. Happy New Year and thanks for a fantastic year of photos, info, and new friendships!



September 1969



1969



1969



1969



1950’s



1957/58



1957/58



1957/58



1957/58



February 1965



1950’s



1950’s



See more vintage and contemporary Disneyland photos at my main website.

8 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

Funny you mentioned ducks spoiling the illusion...one time I went to Disneyland and they were having some sort of crow invasion. The Matterhorn had crows all over it, and Storybook Land had the noisy pests everywhere. Folks on our boat laughed whenever they saw one! Wonder how they got the birds to go away??

Matterhorn1959 said...

Wow you were up late scanning all these images!! Casey Junior is one of my favorite attractions and every time I am at Disneyland I try to ride it. I think my favorite shot is of Casey pulling into station with the old style Skyway bucket overhead!

DisneyDutchman said...

Happy New Year Dave!!! Just a quick thank you from all of us at the Dutchmans household for all of your efforts!! And please if anyone out there hasn't been to Dave's web site www.davelandweb.com you need to go NOW!! Its Spectacular!!!!!! DD

Anonymous said...

happy new year, my family really enjoys your blog, keep up the great work.

FoxxFur said...

That shot - third up from the bottom - you have labeled as "50's" - isn't that Canal Boats of the World? Wouldn't that make that shot from 1955 or early '56? Perhaps during construction of Storybookland - that grid of plywood borders they have laid down on the hill seems to corroborate this, as this could be the start of landscaping the "patchwork quilt". As well as the flagpoles flying flags in the foreground (not sure which flags, but it makes sense this would be in front of a boat ride thru canals of the world!).

Tinker Bell said...

Great photos! Storybookland is one of my favorite attractions! Happy New Year Dave!!

Chris Merritt said...

Great signage Dave - love the first & last shots... Thanks for sharing so much over the last year (although you and Patrick don't come close to my "horse choker" from last week)!

Mr. Mouse Monthly said...

There's a great 'Skyway to Tomorrowland' sign in the second to last pic, with Casey Jr pulling into the station (I'm an sign geek too). Awesome shots!